Communications Coordinator contract
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position (approximately 6 months) of Communications Coordinator within Corporate Communications. The successful candidate will develop and implement multi-faceted communications plans for the City’s Water Services Department. Work will focus on facilitating public education and external communications. First-rate writing skills, proneness to forward-thinking, creativity and initiative are musts with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK: The regular work week will consist of 35 hours; Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Evening and weekend hours may be required in the future.
- Develop and implement integrated communications programs designed to support a suite of Water Services conservation and efficiency initiatives, and to help the department meet its strategic goals and address critical issues.
- Facilitate public education and external communications.
- Analyze effectiveness of communication strategies and report on results.
- Leverage the City’s social media properties to respond to inquiries about Guelph water and provide information to the public.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in Public Relations or Corporate Communications and 2-3 years experience in a corporate communications environment specializing in public relations, corporate or integrated communications, preferably in the public sector. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with media relations and familiarity with local media outlets.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational and public relations research skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook).
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and function effectively in a high volume workplace with tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to exercise discretion, good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge of municipal government is an asset.
- Experience with InDesign is an asset.
Rate: $26.39 - $32.40