Communications Coordinator contract
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Communications Coordinator within Corporate Communications. The successful candidate will help facilitate public education and external communications; facilitate employee communications; help foster effective media relations; conduct and coordinate public opinion research; and work on top-notch corporate publications. First-rate writing skills, excellent organizational skills, creativity and initiative are musts as is a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision—to be the city that makes a difference.
- Develop and implement integrated communications programs designed to help departments and the corporation meet their strategic goals and to address critical issues
- Act as a consultant to City departments to identify key issues and opportunities
- Assist with the building of positive media relations, including writing and editing news releases, coordinating news events, handling media enquiries, and facilitating media interviews
- Analyze effectiveness of communication strategies and report on results
- Help drive the corporate brand management strategy; serve as a brand ambassador for the organization
- Respond to inquiries and provide information to the public using a variety of channels including the City’s social media properties
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in Public Relations or Corporate Communications and 2-3 years experience in a corporate communications environment specializing in public relations, corporate or integrated communications, preferably in the public sector. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with media relations and familiarity with local media outlets.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational and public relations research skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook).
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and function effectively in a high volume workplace with tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to exercise discretion, good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge of municipal government is an asset.
- Experience with InDesign is an asset.
Rate: $26.39 - $32.40