About the Organization
The Nisga’a Lisims Government (NLG) building opened its doors in 2000, and has since been responsible for a vital set of treaty and legislated functions in respect of the implementation of the Nisga’a Final Agreement (the “Treaty”) under various departments including Finance, Programs & Services, Fisheries & Wildlife, and Lands & Resources, all which contribute to the development of the surrounding area. NLG's directives are governed under Nisga’a laws as well as federal and provincial laws.
About the Location
Gitlaxt'aamiks, also known as New Aiyansh, is a Nisga'a village in the heart of the Nass River Valley in British Columbia, Canada. As one of four Nisga'a villages, it is considered the "capital of the Nisga'a Nation."
Located on BC's rugged northwest coast, and just 97km north of Terrace, Nisga'a Lands are blessed with soaring mountains, dramatic lava beds, picturesque fjords, and thriving rivers and streams. The natural beauty of Nisga'a Lands is complemented by the Nisga'a Nation's rich cultural traditions. There is a wealth of activities for you to enjoy, including fishing, hiking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, ATVing, and much more!
The Kitimat-Terrace Regional Airport is the largest in the area with several direct daily flights to Vancouver, as well as flights to a host of other Northwestern communities. Terrace is served by daily, direct flights from Vancouver by Air Canada Jazz, Central Mountain Air & Westjet. Flying time is less than 2 hours.
About the Opportunity
Currently, Nisga’a Lisims Government has an exciting new position for a Communications Coordinator to join the group in Gitlaxt'aamiks (also known as New Aiyansh) in beautiful British Columbia.
Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Inter-governmental Relations, you will be responsible for providing communication services to departments of Nisga’a Lisims Government (NLG). The Communications Coordinator works in the administrative offices of NLG, and supports implementation of the NLG communication strategy, and will provide support in writing, editing and producing consistent and quality communications materials for NLG, particularly in respect of desktop publishing, website, social media, and photography.
More specifically, on a regular basis you will have the following responsibilities:
- Supporting NLG's communications strategy through communications activities including public and media relations management on behalf of NLG.
- Liaising with staff from various NLG departments and the general public to respond to requests for information, as well as to collaborate on joint initiatives and events.
- Handling the media and coordinating responses for identified NLG spokesperson.
- Writing, editing and producing a diverse range of communications media such as social and online media, internal briefs, newsletters, brochures, displays, speeches and presentations.
- Ensuring overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex communication materials.
- Co-ordinating the production and distribution of internal and external products such as internet, website, annual reports and other public information materials.
- Determining content in conjunction with Department Directors and Managers.
- Researching and writing articles and producing materials, while also working with designers, photographers and printers.
- Providing advice and guidance to team members in all aspects of written work to ensure quality messages and materials.
- Contributing to the development and content management of the NLG’s web site.
- Actively participating in the department’s role to support NLG’s emergency management program.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
We invite you to apply if you have a minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role and an associate degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as Communications, Public Relations or web/media design, but will consider equivalent experience. Experience with a similar indigenous or political organization will be considered an asset.
You will also possess:
- Demonstrable knowledge of software utilized by communications professions including desktop publishing software (e.g. InDesign), Adobe, and content management software for websites (e.g. WordPress), and adept in utilizing social media in support of communications initiatives.
- Experience using a digital camera with an eye for photography.
- The ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with discretion, tact and diplomacy.
- Technical proficiency and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Adaptability and the ability to reprioritize quickly to balance changing, often competing demands.
- Familiarity with the Nisga’a Language and Culture (Asset).
Along with the ability to work well under pressure, you will be an excellent communicator, both in written and verbal situations. You will also have an understanding of the bigger picture and an understanding the significance of working with the Nisg̱a’a Lisims Government.
Above all, it is crucial that you have strong organizational and time management skills. Please note that some travel to Vancouver, and throughout BC will be required and as a result, a Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license is required.
This is an exciting time to join NLG! Utilize your strong communications skills with a caring organization and set a change in motion to make a lasting impact on families within the area.
About the Benefits
In appreciation of all your hard work and determination, you will be rewarded with a highly competitive annual salary and a fantastic host of benefits including:
- Relocation assistance to the right candidate
- 38 days off (20 vacation + 18 elective leave)
- Extended Health and Dental
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Group Life Insurance
- Professional Development
- Group Pension Plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) which provides confidential counseling services to assist employees with a variety of life's challenges
Nisga'a Lisims Government strives to maintain its position as an employer of choice. We operate with respect for one another in the workplace and we value the contribution of all of our employees. We encourage transparency and open communication within our organization throughout all of our departments.
At NLG, you will be met with an exciting career, an ethical and respectful work environment, and opportunity to serve in public service for the good of our Nation. With hard work and determination, the possibilities for career progression are endless at NLG.
If you're looking for a leadership position that is guaranteed to provide you with satisfaction - Apply Now!
For more info and to apply see: http://jobs.applyfir..jobs/94339