What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. We're a community of citizens who are engaged -- with each other and, increasingly, with the world. Being one of the best colleges in Canada isn't just talk - it's something we work at every single day.
Working with a high degree of independent judgment, the Communications and Publications Specialist provides strategic communications planning and deployment in support of the college's educational and information technology (CEIT) department. The Communications and Publications Specialist researches, designs, writes, edits, and maintains communications planning and related support materials for CEIT and various project partners. The Communications and Publications Specialist also supports CEIT in the effective use of all communication channels, including senior level reports, the College's website, social media, and email in a professional and informed manner consistent with the strategic direction of the department, division, and college.
- Provides strategic communications support for the department
a. Develops, recommends, and implements communication for CEIT, including: projects, change advisory board and budgets to mitigate project risks and to enhance project results.
b. Consults with internal and external stakeholders; identifies and resolves communication issues; and works with CEIT and project staff to implement communication plans.
c. Provides strategic communications expertise to the CIO and the members of the CEIT management team to proactively identify communications opportunities.
d. Foster and build relationships with business areas to improve team communication, project development and deployment.
e. Coordinates day-to-day communications requests with a high degree of independent judgment to support assigned business areas or projects.
f. Researches and explores new and effective tools, mediums and technologies that strengthen communications and engagement with target audiences, and offer value for effort.
g. Ensures all communications are consistent with the College image, including choosing the appropriate format and tone.
- Researches, designs, writes, and edits layout and material for a wide range of instructional and informational mediums
a. Writes, edits and oversees the production of various communications products ensuring accuracy, quality and efficient workflow.
b. Develops, writes, edits and maintains a CEIT style guides to provide uniformity in style and formatting within a document and across multiple documents.
c. Consults with subject matter experts to clarify objectives and provide informed communication advice.
d. Researches, tests, writes and edits procedural and orientation manuals ensuring accurate and current information for documentation is produced.
e. Produces CEIT related visual communications for college wide display screens.
f. Researches, scans, creates and edits graphics for use in documentation.
g. Maintains structured library of communication resources.
- Maintains CEIT web information via the College's web content management system.
a. Writes, edits, proofs and rewrites material for grammar, accuracy, college style and effective messaging for CEIT owned pages on the college website.
b. Provides visual design knowledge to maintain a sustainable online structure.
c. Coordinates and delivers training and informational sessions to CEIT web content owners in support of CEIT's communications strategy.
d. Promotes adherence to web publishing guidelines, standards and policies.
e. Reviews content for currency and encourage regular department contributions and ideas.
f. Updates css and html pages as needed
- Performs other related duties upon request.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- A degree or diploma in Communications, Technical Communications, Print Futures or equivalent professional writing diploma
- 2+ years' experience working directly in the professional communications field
- Ability to develop and implement communications plans with preference given to information and educational technology related projects
- Experience developing and modifying content within a Content Management System (i.e. Sitecore)
- Ability to understand an edit html and css files in support of web communications
- Excellent writing skills with the demonstrated ability to create professional, interesting and impactful messaging
- Strong active listening and interviewing skills
- Ability to identify and communicate benefits for a target audience in a clear, compelling way across all levels of the organization
- Strong project management, communications and organizational skills
- Strong customer service focus and team player
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work to multiple deadlines
- A high level of expertise in the use of a variety of software applications including, but not limited to MS Office (Word & Excel), Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and DreamWeaver.
- Ability to work with a minimum of direct supervision together with good organizational skills and an ability to establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a collaborative environment
This regular full-time position is available effective November 24, 2014. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.