BCIT’s Marketing and Communications department is seeking a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Communications and Digital Specialist. Reporting to the Manager, Communications, this role is responsible for building, delivering, and executing digital media communications strategies for the Institute through extensive data analysis and a deep understanding and respect for the user experience. Responsible for delivering best-in-class recommendations pertaining to digital and social communications in marketing and recruitment campaigns and initiatives, crisis or emergency situations, issues management, government relations, and the planning and execution of public relations activities and events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the Institute’s digital communication strategy and channels, coordinating the overall BCIT social media program from strategy to execution; consults and collaborates with management to develop social communications strategies.
- Works closely with contributors across the Institute, creating strategic content for BCIT digital channels including social, web, newsletters, executive communications, etc.
- Researches, recommends, develops, and oversees the establishment of earned and owned digital communications best-practices and ensures that these standards are communicated, implemented, and maintained; monitors digital trends, experiments with new digital tools and promotes BCIT’s digital presence. Influences prospective/current student, faculty and staff engagement through digital communications, from audience and stakeholder analysis through to implementation and success metrics tracking; recruits, trains, and manages the student influencer program.
- Acts as a key contributor to the Institute’s crisis communications plan and implementation; drafts and releases sensitive, timely, and confidential issues related to community safety and Institute reputation. Works alongside the Communications team to provides communications support for the President’s office, critical Institute events and announcements.
- Provides communications counsel and strategy to support senior leadership in proactively identifying and mitigating issues; serves as a member of the BCIT Emergency Operations Centre. Participates in various advisory groups concerning the digital experience and communications alongside all relevant departments and offices, and provides monthly reports on YOY metrics and trends.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Definition: The qualifications section for this position was developed using the approved job evaluation plan agreed to between the BCGEU and BCIT. The qualifications represent the minimum qualifications required in the future (i.e. to be reflected in job postings) and do not reflect the incumbent’s existing qualifications.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of a four-year degree in Marketing, Communications or relevant field, including courses in writing, editing and publishing.
- Two years of general experience plus four years of relevant, practical experience in a relevant position.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
- Strong computing and social media skills, including fluency in content management, presentation, word processing software applications, and social media platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. A strong grasp of the English language.
- Proven ability to think critically and strategically.
- Ability to interview, articulate, and write for a variety of audiences and communication tools.
- Proven editing and proofreading skills at an advanced level.
- A strong grasp of best practices for digital communications, including experience managing social channels, web content, and creating communications products for senior leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, tact, and discretion in dealing with a variety of sensitive and confidential issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to function effectively as a member of a team.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Experience with executive communications functions such as preparing briefs, agendas, presentations, and decks.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!