CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full Time Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Corporate and Strategic Communications Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Communications Advisor, Public Affairs
(JOB # J0419-0013)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Reporting to the Manager, Media and External Communications, and supporting the Senior Advisor, Intergovernmental Relations, the Communications Advisor, Public Affairs, provides professional communications planning, writing, media relations, social media and policy research. Ensures delivery of consistent and accurate messaging through collaboration with internal departments, and develops and implements communications and media strategies and materials that support Vaughan’s strategic and business plans.
Qualifications and experience:
- Undergraduate degree in political science, public administration, social science, communication, journalism or related discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ related experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of Council and the municipal relationship with other levels of government.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; preparing speeches, presentations, articles, newsletters, and other models of messaging.
- Demonstrated sound judgement and ability to build strong partnerships with stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge in social media and communication trends.
- Possess a valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.