CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Temporary Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Corporate & Strategic Communications Department
for an experienced and motivated individual
Communications Advisor, (Partner and Internal Communications)
(Up to 6 Months)
(JOB # J0418-0959)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Responsible for providing a range of communications-related support to City departments, including strategy development and implementation of communications products. Supports the activities of the Corporate Management Team, Senior Management Team and client/partner departments by providing communications advice, consultation and assistance on corporate projects and initiatives, particularly as they relate to editorial content being communicated through a variety of formats, with a focus on internal communications support.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Public Administration, Political Science or suitable equivalent.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ related experience, with a sound working knowledge of professional communication techniques and practices.
- IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) or CPRS (Canadian Public Relations Association) accreditation is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to apply the principles of new technologies to support and enhance a wide variety of communications initiatives.
- Thorough working knowledge of computer software packages including HTML, iMovie (or similar video-editing program), Dreamweaver, FTP programs, Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint), Microsoft Publishing or InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator.
- Thorough working knowledge of Canadian Press Style standards.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills, both oral and written, and the ability to perform well under pressure.
- Ability to deal professionally and effectively with all Stakeholders, including Council, Staff at all levels and the media.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the city’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends as required.