Reporting to the Manager, Communications this role leads a team of communication specialists in the delivery of communications programs to support the Region’s strategic priorities.
The successful candidate will have a degree in Public Relations, Communications, Public Administration or related discipline and at least five (5) years of direct supervisory experience leading, coaching and motivating a team of communications professionals. Experience in and understanding of public administration, policy and politically sensitive environments and experience overseeing the development, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of communications plans and materials is required. Strong political acuity to assess issues and think strategically, professionalism when working with senior staff and the ability to deal with confidential and sensitive topics/issues is required as is well-developed written and oral communication skills, project management, media relations, issues management and crisis communications skills. Candidate should have knowledge of current communications practices.
The successful candidate is someone who can think quickly on their feet, has the ability to work independently and can take the initiative to successfully execute on initiatives and emerging issues. The candidate must have the ability to manage many projects in a fast-paced environment with competing demands and build strategic relationships both outside and within Halton’s Departments. Knowledge of the Halton community would be an asset.
Flexibility in work schedule to perform on-call duties (after work hours and weekends) as part of the rotating on-call schedule, is required.
- Leads a team of communication specialists in the delivery of communications plans and activities.
- Provides direction and feedback to team members on communications activities and maintains superior quality assurance on materials to ensure consistent, effective and appropriate communications.
- Monitors team performance and provides coaching and mentoring to encourage staff development.
- Supports the Manager, Corporate Communications in the delivery of the communications strategy and other communications initiatives.
- Prepares, monitors and evaluates communications plans and ensures project scope, budget, resources and timelines are managed effectively.
- Provides the communications team and corporate partners with advice and guidance on communications plans and activities, including messaging, evaluation, quality assurance and continuous improvement.
- Manages and provides input into the development of communications plans, tools, processes and standards ensuring strong project management approaches to all communications activities.
- Collaborates and participates as part of the divisional supervisory team to discuss, evaluate and assign communications requests to ensure the delivery of high quality communications and integration of resources and expertise within the division.
- Completes team supervisory functions such as time sheet approval, vacation approval, setting staff objectives, overseeing performance appraisals and providing input into annual budget planning and professional development.
- Works collaboratively with Manager and Communications Advisors on media relations, issues management and emergency communications responses.
- Builds effective and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders both within and outside of Halton.
- Co-ordinates use of external public relations, marketing, advertising contractors when needed.
- Participates in emergency communication contingency planning in accordance with Halton Region’s Emergency Plan.
- Acts as back up to the Manager, Corporate Communications.
- Keeps updated on best practice in research and trends in communications, social and other media.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posting Expires: June 1, 2017