CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full Time Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Corporate & Strategic Communications Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Communications Advisor (Media and Social Media)
(JOB # J0418-0620)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Responsible for delivering external communications supporting key business areas in the City of Vaughan and manages all corporate social media accounts. Participates in the development of creative external communication plans and written materials to promote business priorities. Collaborates with the Corporate Communications team providing proactive and responsive media relations in support of City initiatives and events and actively promotes City achievements and elevates its brand using a strategic approach to public relations. Supports the activities of the Corporate Management Team, Senior Management Team and departments by providing communications advice, consultation and assistance on projects and initiatives, particularly as they relate to media and social media.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Public Administration, Political Science or suitable equivalent.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience, with a sound working knowledge of professional communication techniques and practices including a demonstrated ability to apply the principles of new social media technologies (and technologies more broadly) to support and enhance a wide variety of communications initiatives.
- IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) or CPRS (Canadian Public Relations Association) accreditation is considered an asset.
- Proven experience in the development of media relations plans and pitches.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and initiative with a proven track record in issues management and executing successful public information campaigns.
- Extensive working knowledge and application of modern communication practices and techniques (Tech Savvy) – including social media – along with superior research, writing and editing skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian Press Style standards.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff and the media, exercising sound judgment, tact and diplomacy.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; coupled with the ability to manage multiple priorities to successfully achieve aggressive deadlines.
- Effective presentation skills together with strong interpersonal skills including a collaborative team player.
- Strong writing and editing skills, the ability to listen and communicate ideas effectively, and the ability to perform successfully under pressure.
- Media Relations experience and applied knowledge of Social Media.
- Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies.
- Thorough working knowledge of computer software packages including HTML, iMovie (or similar video editing program) Dreamweaver, FTP programs, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Publishing or Quark Express, and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.