Have you navigated the seas of change in communication? Are you inspired by innovation? Are you a born collaborator, active listener and trusted advisor? If this sounds like you, then we should talk.
Reporting to the Manager, Communication, the Communication Specialist will be accountable for editorial content planning and execution for Sonnet, Canada’s only fully online insurance experience. The successful candidate will also be responsible for producing corporate communications and brand journalism initiatives for internal and external consumption.
Who We Are:
Sonnet is a federally regulated insurance company and wholly owned subsidiary of Economical Insurance. Our mission is to provide Canadians with an easy, transparent, and customized way to buy home and auto insurance online. Our values are clear and simple: we focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together.
Experience the future of insurance at Sonnet.ca, and find out more about us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Who We’re Looking for:
- You understand digital natives and the millennial mindset when it comes to brand relevance and the blur between experience and delivery
- You have a professional desire to make a true impact through clarity of message and delivery of content
- You’re adept at identifying and using rich media formats to create the best possible content
- Your written and oral communication skills are exceptional
- You have excellent research, writing and editing skills
- You’re very organized, resourceful, fast, and have impeccable attention to detail
- You’re customer-focused and you thrive in a team environment
- You’re effective and calm when working under pressure
- You’re professional, friendly, and courteous — excellent at building relationships across diverse groups
- You’re always open to learning and expanding your skills
- You’re comfortable taking initiative and being a self-starter
- You have a good sense of trends and current affairs, and understand what makes a story timely, relevant and compelling
- You’re excited at the possibility of creativity and innovation in your work
- Contribute to corporate communication, brand journalism and thought leadership plans
- Lead initiatives to identify opportunities for our brand to engage and participate in relevant topics and conversations
- Develop and deploy a wide-range of innovative communication tactics that align to program priorities and objectives, as well as support overall brand positioning
- Collaborate closely with members of the communication, marketing and operations teams to plan and publish content
- Research topics and interview subject matter expertise, including senior executives, to plan and produce high impact stories and content
- Plan and produce engaging and informative content in rich media formats such as video and audio, and collaborate with designers to create visual assets including infographics, photos and other communication material
- Support media relations, engagement and outreach
- Produce regular reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually) to track progress of brand journalism and internal communication initiatives against an established performance plan
- Travel to meetings in Waterloo on a semi-regular basis
Your Skills & Experience:
- Must have at least 5-7 years of progressive communication experience in a fast-paced environment
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Marketing or English
- Post-graduate certification in related discipline an asset
- Superb content creation capabilities to further storytelling and drive engagement
- Experience creating innovative content about complex issues
- Excellent project management, channel planning and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with distributed teams across multiple offices and locations
- Experience collaborating with colleagues in Quebec and understanding the unique characteristics of the French Canadian market
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong stakeholder relationships across diverse groups
- Proven experience in delivering effective, engaging employee communications
- Proven ability to measure impact of communication and engagement efforts
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience but you know you have what it takes, be sure to tell us why in your application.
What You’ll Experience:
- An incredible team of smart, diverse, and supportive people that want to help you be better at what you do
- Great benefits, ongoing education, and competitive pay
- A dynamic and professional environment that fosters substantial professional development
- Opportunities to test and refine new ideas in collaboration with like-minded innovators
How to Apply:
Be sure to include a link to your blog or online portfolio (if available) in your resume or cover letter — we’d love to see your work in action.