Vacancy ID#: 2018-22 (LRA/Grade 2)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Type: Permanent Full-time
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit /Grade 2
Rate: $57,308.24 (start) - $71,633.18
Date: April 27, 2018
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing 65,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals and more than 16,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members, providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Communication Assistant for our Communication and Government Relations (CGR) Team, Toronto Office. Reporting to the Manager, CGR, the Labour Relations Assistant needs to be a motivated, self-starter who demonstrates expertise, judgment and independence to provide advanced-level coordination and support across their team with a professional and service-focused approach. With high attention to detail and exemplary initiative, you will be accountable for providing support to members and staff, and in collaboration with their team members, in a manner that is consistent with our member values.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
Make observable contributions to the success of other team members and the overall performance of the team.
- Records management (electronically and hard copy); identify priorities within the tracking system.
- Transcribe documents, including letters, memos and correspondence or copy-typing handwritten notes.
- Draft and prepare correspondence.
- Photocopy and scan documents and correspondence.
- Convert documents from various versions to Word, and/or onto templates provided.
- Produce and proofread materials/documents for our team members.
- Receive inquiries by telephone, email, in person, and direct callers appropriately.
- Calendar management, including booking meetings, coordinating appointments and scheduling calls; at times, process incoming/outgoing mail and couriers, ensuring the most efficient method is used for distribution.
- Call suppliers and discuss project specs, and obtain quotations, and keep lines of communications fluid between you, the vendor and requesting parties, internally and externally.
- Fill team, public and member material and information requests as required, including filling orders, packing materials, tracking orders and quantities, and shipping to internal/external parties, as per plan.
- From time to time, you may be asked to lift and move materials, packages, over-sized boxes.
- Co-ordinate material from external and internal parties as they pertain to project/s at hand to ensure logistics are met to specifications of project/s.
- Complete and file team forms in the appropriate files.
- Maintain materials inventory in an efficient manner, ensuring proper records are kept (i.e. shipments received, inventory ordered/maintained, etc.), both electronically and using Microsoft applications.
- Maintain inventory controls for all stocked materials, CGR Team lists, schedules, and other regular internal charts and tables, both electronically and using Microsoft applications.
- Maintain control of photography equipment, including booking forms, as well as booking photographers and videographers, etc., as per project specifications.
- Prepare information kits with a range of ONA materials, as appropriate to the requestor.
Support projects by material proofing, basic writing and editing review and input.
Support the Media Relations Officer with the daily and weekly media clips package, as required.
Support Labour Relations Officers with general support duties, as required.
Support Manager, CGR, with daily administration needs and report, invoice signing, and associated daily tasks.
This position will be accountable for providing information and content-gathering, and graphic design and production support to members of the CGR Team and the greater ONA organization, internally and externally, as requested.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will possess –
Post-secondary degree or diploma in Public Relations, Business Administration, Office Administration or a related field.
Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of education/experience satisfactory to ONA).
- Records management experience.
- Experience collecting information and content, working with various stakeholders – internally and externally.
- Certificate, courses and/or experience in project management/coordination is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Acrobat, Survey Monkey, and demonstrated experience in database management.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment in accordance with instructions. High-level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- The ability to work professionally with people from various levels of the organization; impeccable interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable and flexible individual who can work effectively as part of a team, and individually.