Job Title: Bilingual Communications Specialist
Department: Corporate Communications and Marketing
Reports to: Senior Director, Communications
Position Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Details: Temporary, 6-month contract (with possibility to extend)
As a member of the Corporate Communications and Marketing team, the Bilingual Communications Specialist acts as a point of contact for management to execute projects that contribute to expanding La Capitale’s market presence and brand awareness. This is an ideal position for a communications professional with a strong understanding in marketing principles, looking for an opportunity to broaden their skills. As a department that is constantly challenged to come up with new and innovative ideas, this position will draw on a candidate’s ability to multi-task, shift gears quickly when needed, and curiosity to investigate new solutions. A positive can-do attitude, flexibility, and initiative are welcomed and appreciated.
- Write communication materials (news releases, key messages, consumer and trade articles, speaking notes, blog posts, employee communications, web and social media content).
- Review English documents originally translated from French to ensure they communicate appropriate and compelling messages within the company’s style guidelines.
- Ensure that corporate identity, positioning, product promotion and messaging is consistent in all communications and marketing materials.
- Plan, manage and execute projects and/or events effectively, on time and on budget, in collaboration with Corporate Communications and Marketing and/or Human Resources.
- Act as one of the key liaisons to communicate product/service improvements within the organization.
- Ensure constant and proactive monitoring of competitive, industry and news information to report/act on news or opportunities (i.e.: newspapers, magazines, business publications, social media and online tools).
- Respond to online inquiries about our products and services.
- Liaise with management in Québec on communication support and issues management.
- Independently field media calls as necessary and pitch news stories to local media.
- Serve as a resource and consultant to individual departments to review their communication methods, styles and messages.
Qualifications and Requirements
- University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related discipline (equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered)
- Minimum five years of experience in marketing communications or public affairs with an insurance/financial services company
- Advanced writing, editing and proof-reading skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multi-tasking capability, and able to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment
- Self-starter who is able to anticipate and prioritize business needs and handle a wide range of diverse internal and external communication projects
- Bilingualism (English and French), is required