CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Temporary Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Corporate and Strategic Communications Department
for an experienced and motivated individual
Acting Manager, Media and External Communications
(Contract – Up to 12 Months)
(JOB # J0418-0614)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
As a member of the Communications Leadership Team, the Manager is responsible for managing the Media and External Communications Group and providing proactive and responsive media relations and issues management in support of City Council-business, Corporate initiatives, and events. Contributes to the development and implementation of earned and paid-media strategies, along with social media strategies in support of the City’s goals, objectives, programs and services targeting both external and internal audiences. Establishes work priorities and assigns communications projects to Media and External Communications staff and manages project scheduling and the project approval process, in collaboration with the Director. Responsible for the development and implementation of policies, procedures and strategies relating to all external communications, including media relations, issue management, and the marketing and communication services of the Department. Actively promotes City achievements and elevates its brand using a strategic approach to public relations. Ensures the City’s reputation and image are upheld by monitoring, researching and analyzing programs, issues and third-party information.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Public Administration, Political Science or suitable equivalent.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ media relations experience, with a sound working knowledge of professional communication techniques and practices including public sector experience in writing high level communications.
- IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) or CPRS (Canadian Public Relations Association) accreditation is considered an asset.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and initiative with a proven track record in issues management and executing successful public information campaigns.
- Thorough working knowledge of computer programs used in communications, research and the monitoring of current events and issues.
- Extensive working knowledge and application of modern communication practices and techniques (Tech Savvy) – including social media – along with superior research, writing and editing skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian Press Style standards
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff and the media, exercising sound judgment, tact and diplomacy.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; coupled with the ability to manage multiple priorities to successfully achieve aggressive deadlines.
- Effective presentation skills together with strong interpersonal skills including a collaborative team player.
- Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.