Web Writer (Contractor) contract
The Sauder School of Business at UBC is in the process of re-launching their web site and is seeking 1 or more experienced freelance web writers to assist the central marketing and communications department to create new content and edit content to be web-ready and suitable to the new site’s format and IA.
We are currently seeking candidates that are available to work approximately 25-35 hours per week from January – April 2012.
The first assignment will be to work with the school’s graduate programs office (Robert H. Lee Graduate School) to support an existing international marketing campaign to relaunch the school’s MBA program.
The candidate must be available to work on-site at UBC’s point grey campus and attend regular campaign team meetings.
The writer(s) will liaise and work directly with program managers to assist them with creating, editing and developing new content for their sections. Writers will ensure completion of all assigned work and quality of execution, and would be responsible for coordinating and managing the proofing process across relevant stakeholders.
Responsibilities include ensuring that editorial content is in a tone of voice and style consistent with the Sauder brand, and written in a manner that meets web usability standards; content must be appropriately formatted for the web environment, with appropriate links/cross-links and search engine optimization considerations in mind.
The ability to write for a variety of audiences is an asset, as work may range across editing and developing content for degree programs, academic divisions, the business career centre, research centres, and the executive education unit.
- 3 or more years work experience in a web writing or editing capacity or a strong portfolio of web writing experience
- Good understanding of content strategy, site structure, information architecture, and usability
- Knowledge of search engine optimization principles and how to write content to optimize for a site
- Bachelor level degree or relevant diploma in new media, marketing, journalism, communications, english or related field is preferred but not required.
- Excellent editorial skills with a sound understanding of writing for the web and engaging online audiences
- Experience working in a large, complex institutional or multi-stakeholder environment is an asset.
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing, proof-reading and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy