Under the direction of the Manager, Web Strategy, this position plans, develops and implements web strategies and tactics for Thompson Rivers University's web properties. This position also plans and implements web advertising, email marketing campaigns and subsequent reporting. The Web Strategist measures the effectiveness and improves TRU's web content, structure, SEO, accessibility and
overall user experience. This position oversees data gathering and monitoring tools and uses data gathered from these sources to make evidence-based improvements to the website.
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, the Web Strategist will be expected to understand, advance and support members of the team in meeting overall institutional Marketing and Communications strategies and priorities, within a web and online context.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain the TRU website including, coding, development and testing of front-end pages and forms.
- Responsibility for planning, managing and refining paid advertising (e.g. AdWords, Bing Ads) campaigns, email marketing and other digital marketing strategies with subsequent tracking and reporting.
- Develop and implement a search engine optimization strategy.
- Audit the content of TRU web pages for technical integrity, consistency and conformity to standards and guidelines. Report and implement improvements for compliance with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) to increase the accessibility of TRU's web properties.
- Develop guidelines, recommendations and training to assist web editors on creating web content that is accessible.
- Develop reports from web data gathering tools, including Site Search, Google Analytics and Web Master Tools.
- Monitor for broken links, outdated or inaccurate information and overall user experience improvements.
- Utilize data to support evidence-based enhancements to content, information architecture and design using website analytics,competitive analyses, usability and focus group feedback, and similar research methods.
- Analyze customer needs in order to design and implement technical solutions in line with department and university goals.
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service standards in dealing with and responding to questions and problems including development and delivery of technical training.
- Ensure the website is a showcase for TRU's brand.
- Evaluate and demonstrate new web technology as it becomes available for the purpose of determining how these can benefit TRU.
Manager, Web Strategy
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline
- Five (5) years' related experience, including:
- Using Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics and other web data tools to make evidence based improvements
- Implementing direct email marketing campaigns using marketing automation tools
- Utilizing web standards for accessibility, user interface design, information design and architecture
- Developing content strategies, search engine optimization tactics and improving web accessibility
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Thorough understanding of website metrics, data analysis, behavioral analysis and reporting tools
- Knowledge of basic functionality of database design, data mappings and import processes
- Knowledge of and ability to design user interfaces
- Working knowledge of usability best practices
- Working knowledge of information architectural best practices
- Extensive understanding of organic and paid search engine positioning and strategies
- Extensive understanding of Pay-Per-Click Internet marketing campaigns
- Knowledge of development and implementation of marketing concepts
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal effectively with others
- Detail and deadline oriented, ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to coordinate, plan, document and organize projects to meet deadlines
- Sitting at desk and computer for long periods of time
- General office conditions