St. Joseph Media is Canada's third largest magazine publisher with brands including award-winning titles such as Toronto Life, FASHION, Weddingbells, MARIAGE Québec, Where Canada magazines, Canadian Family and Quill & Quire.
St. Joseph Media is looking for a dynamic, talented web designer to join our team who will be responsible for the digital design and day to day web maintenance of Fashionmagazine.com and other St. Joseph Media web properties as assigned. This position will support the existing infrastructure across a variety of web properties and work closely with online editors and producers to provide smart, sophisticated visual design that embraces both innovation and the user experience.
Like all good web sites, these online properties are in a constant state of flux, so the successful candidate will be able to deal with tight deadlines and multiple overlapping tasks. Creativity, a critical eye, familiarity with the FASHION brand, and a strong ability to work independently are essential for this position.
This role is part designer and part front-end coder. Candidates should have a strong portfolio and intermediate HTML/CSS markup skills at minimum. You should be comfortable writing code in a text editor. We are committed to the latest web standards (including HTML5 and CSS3) and have eliminated all use of Adobe Flash. You should be ‘in the know’ how the iPad and mobile are changing online design.
Candidates will be responsible for the visual look and feel of Fashionmagazine.com and will be expected to produce effective and creative solutions to a variety of design challenges. Candidates must also demonstrate expertise for composition and typography when designing for web products, a strong sense of visual storytelling, as well as having a deep understanding of web design best practices.
- Conceive and execute highly effective visual designs for new website features and mobile applications.
- Build, test, schedule and deploy client newsletters.
- Integrate sales initiatives such as eblasts, contests and sponsorships into the design and user experience of the web site(s).
- Collaborate with producers and editorial teams on updates and flow of information that impact the look, feel and layout of the website(s).
- Write well-documented, clean HTML/CSS code for all projects.
- Test and de-bug new projects prior to launch.
- Ongoing web site maintenance.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 2 years experience with HTML and CSS with a clear understanding of how design translates to code
- A passion for web design, standards, emerging technologies
- Minimum 2 years experience in web design, including a firm grasp of the roles of typography, photography, and illustration in editorial web design
- Strong expertise in Photoshop is essential
- Experience with Wordpress themes and template design is a strong asset
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Experience working on large, complex media sites with many files, templates and lines of code is an asset