Web Designer full-time
When you work at CBC/Radio-Canada, you’re part of an inspiring, entertaining, truly Canadian organization. Each day, some of the industry’s most creative minds come to work for a world leader in public broadcasting that fuels the Canadian dream, making our national broadcaster one of the country’s largest cultural institutions.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative professional with the ability to contribute their web design and development talents to the Interactive Content Group supporting CBC’s documentary programming. You will have the opportunity to design and build websites and interactive features to support original CBC’s The Nature of Things and Doc Zone documentary programming.
You’ll bring your passion for great web design with the ability to balance stakeholder and client objectives in every project. You are flexible and patient when requirements change, but wave the flag of usability, user-centered design and best practices at every step. You understand optimal design workflows for non-destructive editing techniques in Photoshop and other web design applications and are able to implement your designs with your solid CSS and HTML development skills.
You’re a positive, flexible and passionate contributor to a team of interactive professionals. You’ll bring both creativity and passion to this group, which is positioned for growth and aspires to be a centre for excellence in the Canadian digital media industry. We’re looking for team members with a drive to grow, and the grit to create stellar interactive extensions for the programs via digital platforms.
With appropriate direction from one or more Producers, the Web Designer/Developer participates in the production and maintenance of The Nature of Things and Doc Zone online properties. This includes producing original graphic design (cutting images, designing rotator features, editing photos, etc.), developing websites from templates, and building interactive features from scratch using CSS, HTML and Flash code. There is often a requirement to co-ordinate the activities of others for the production of this material.
- University or college degree in a web design-related field, or equivalent experience
- Portfolio of online work is required to apply for this position
- Ability to design web graphics from scratch, and design and build websites and interactive features based on wireframes
- Ability to balance competing priorities and stakeholder objectives
- Excellent Photoshop skills in terms of design, organization of layers and files and adherence to non-destructive design techniques
- Understanding of grid design and page layout
- Understanding of interaction design/ interaction architecture
- Solid knowledge of industry norms and best practices related to of user-centric design techniques, and heuristic usability testing processes
- Passion for attention to detail, usability and consistency in every project, no matter how big or small
- Broad exposure to design and design styles
- Familiarity with blogging software, such as Moveable Type or Wordpress
- Ability to articulate creative ideas effectively
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- A customer-focused attitude that is committed to satisfying the vision of the client
- A talent for working under pressure and with multiple priorities
- Ability to develop a team rapport with the content team and internal clients
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada’s national public broadcaster and one of its largest cultural institutions. CBC/Radio-Canada brings diverse regional and cultural perspectives into the daily lives of Canadians in English, French and eight Aboriginal languages.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting the country’s diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from people of any wealth of cultures, linguistic and ethnocultural communities, gender, sexual orientations, ages, religions and those with different abilities.
For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our corporate website: www.cbc.ca/jobs
If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.