The successful candidate for this position will be primarily responsible for providing clean, fresh, progressive and professional design and front-end development to support Alberta Blue Cross’s evolving web communications initiatives. He or she will be a team player and self-starter with a portfolio demonstrating a strong ability to generate web communications solutions that meet and, ideally, exceed business and user needs. The ability to effectively prioritize work and implement solutions in a fast-paced environment within tight timelines is essential for success in this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and modify web graphics, navigation, text and page layouts for existing web sites as required.
- Work collaboratively with Corporate Communications staff to produce user centered web design solutions for a number of Alberta Blue Cross’s internal and external web sites.
- Provide creative input during planning sessions.
- Analyze business requirements and quickly create wireframes, high-fidelity prototypes, effective navigation layouts and standards-compliant user interfaces that meet brand, business, usability and accessibility goals.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends, tools and technologies in web development.
- Other duties as assigned, including occasionally assisting with the production of related printed and audio-visual communication materials.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in graphic design with a web/multimedia specialty.
- Minimum of two years of relevant hands-on experience supported by links to work sample web sites that demonstrate a good eye for design, the ability and talent to create aesthetically pleasing interfaces, and expertise in user centered design. Evidence of abilities to create responsive web sites would be an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of digital design tools including the Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver) is required. Knowledge of After effects and Sony Vegas would be an advantage.
- Experience with content management software would be beneficial.
- Working knowledge of ASP, .NET, MySQL, JQuery and PHP would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of web browsers and their limitations and the ability to design for cross-browser functionality, social media and mobile devices using responsive design.
- Self-motivated learner with an ability and commitment to learn new technologies.
- The ability to work simultaneously on a wide range of projects.
- Ability to analyze requirements and take direction and constructive criticism as necessary to meet business needs.
- Production orientation with a strong work ethic and detail orientation.
- Strong critical thinking and trouble-shooting skills.
- Must be a team player and self starter.
- Must have a good command of the English language.
The Corporate Communications department is a dynamic team of communications professionals responsible for coordinating public and media relations, advertising, internal and external communications and is committed to communications best practices. As a member of this team, you will be required to work under tight deadlines and changing priorities, carrying several projects at once. Sometimes you may be required to work extended hours to meet deadlines.