Video and Media Specialist
Who We Are
At BCIT, we champion diversity of experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives, to foster a community in which equality and inclusivity are embedded in everything we do. We embrace endless innovation, ignited by imagination and creativity, to improve our approaches, opportunities and outcomes. We strive to achieve excellence in everything we do, to accomplish real, measurable results. We believe in the power of collaboration to amplify our efforts and begin every interaction with a foundation of respect for others’ expertise, insights and inherent worth. Our overall vision is to empower people, share BC, and inspire global progress. If this resonates with you, come join our team as we continue to provide practical education for a complex world.
BCIT’s Marketing and Communications department is seeking a regular, full-time Video and Media Specialist. The Video and Media Specialist plays a key role in the MarComm Creative Studio by contributing and executing on a creative vision, bringing stories to life, and providing high-quality, innovative and compelling content.
The Specialist’s deliverables tie to strategic and project objectives, operating solo in an in-the-moment, self-directed manner. The Specialist is responsible for the pre-production, shooting, and post-production on a variety of multimedia products, including external-facing marketing and student recruitment videos, virtual tours, social media content, audio, photos, and internal communications video spanning profiles and community updates.
The Specialist will work with a wide array of stakeholders, collaborating with MarComm contributors, and proactively provides recommendations and solutions to deliver the creative vision on brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Brings BCIT brand to life using the storytelling medium of video and audio – responsible for complete video concepting, shooting, editing, and packaging for client use.
- Collaborates with the Creative Manager and Creative Studio to grow the BCIT brand.
- Contributes to the creative process which involves creative briefings, pre-production meetings, and peer reviews.
- Meets with clients to determine project scope, content, objectives, target audience, creative approach, story, tone, and delivery mode. Advises clients on appropriate media, costs, timelines and production process.
- Coordinates staff, equipment, budget and schedule required to complete cost-effective productions.
- Researches and writes treatment and script, in consultation with project sponsor, content expert and project team. Develops storyboards. Obtains consensus approvals as appropriate.
- Operates camera, sets up lighting and audio gear, and directs onscreen talent in-studio or on-location.
- Creates digital files of video, photographs, audio, and graphics to a professional standard for delivery in video, audio, social channel, multimedia and web formats.
- Selects and performs editing and mixing requirements to create final production, develops motion graphics and transitions.
- Coordinates the design, format, packaging and delivery of the production.
- Maintains close relationship with clients, sponsors and project team throughout the production process.
- Establishes, coordinates, and manages project timelines, equipment requirements and bookings, model requirements and releases, and locations.
- Researches location requirements, aids in sourcing and coordinating subject(s).
- Hires, coordinates and supervises external services such as actors, writers, production crew as required. Coordinates model consent forms, and maintains privacy of personal information.
- Delivers project on budget and within the timeframe while meeting client’s objectives and expectations. Evaluates project effectiveness with clients.
- Investigates new media production hardware/software to determine availability, performance and compatibility with existing equipment for instructional, informational or marketing purposes.
- Keeps informed about trends in media production through ongoing professional development.
- Ensures production equipment is serviced and maintained in good working order.
- Orders and maintains a comprehensive equipment inventory and stock library of images.
- Ensures compliance of safety protocols, including but not limited to crew and photography subject safety, as well as demonstrating correct personal protective equipment (PPE) and safety protocols within the imagery.
- Performs the following duties from time to time, as required: Travel to other British Columbia locations, work overtime, load and transport of production equipment.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of a two-year diploma program in non-print media production, including digital video and multimedia production.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Two years of general experience, plus five years of professional experience in digital media production, including script-writing, photography, audio, professional video camera work and non-linear editing systems.
- Two years of experience in directing media productions; portfolio required.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
- Demonstrated ability in Windows and MacIntosh computer applications used in media production, digital editing and post-production.
- Experience with online Digital Asset Management software and understanding of clean, organized and keyworded archives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to articulate vision of productions to subject and client.
- Directs, motivates, and engages with tact and diplomacy to ensure subjects’ confidence.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Keeps calm under pressure and takes a solution-oriented approach, providing stellar customer service.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Effective organization and time management skills.
- Ability to multitask and manage a variety of simultaneous projects and deadlines.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
$60,067 to $65,177 per annum
Additional Salary Information
External hires are initially placed at the minimum of the salary range with progression to the maximum. Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!