IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. IHS Markit has more than 50,000 key business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world’s leading financial institutions. Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.
Markit Analytics provides the world’s leading financial organisations with enterprise solutions for risk management, pricing and financial analytics. With the advanced vectorised technology of the MA Engine™, Markit Analytics’ solutions perform highly complex, large-scale calculations at unparalleled speed with unmatched accuracy.
IHS Markit is seeking a Technical Writer to join the Markit Analytics group. This person will be responsible for writing technical, user-oriented documentation for complex financial software applications. The role includes the responsibility for creating new task-based documentation in an online format as well as maintaining reference-based documentation to publish in PDF format. Additional tasks include working with a team of writers to identify documentation gaps, maintain documentation standards, and work with subject matter experts to gather information.
Duties & Accountabilities
The position requires you to:
- Communicate proficiently in both written and spoken English.
- Update and copyedit existing manuals.
- Write reference-based as well as task-based documentation.
- Adapt to changing requirements and learn new technology quickly.
- Communicate effectively with multiple teams in multiple time zones to elicit or clarify requirements, coordinate draft reviews, and obtain signoff.
- Prioritise tasks for multiple projects, work with project managers to estimate workload, and deliver documentation on time with software releases.
- Deliver quality material in both PDF and/or online format for multiple product releases per month.
- Work comfortably in Web and Windows operating environments (browsers, applications, workstations, networks, servers, databases).
- Contribute to technical writing team standards, processes, and best practices.
The following skills are not required but would be an asset to the position:
- Familiarity with mathematical notation.
- Read software source code to extract information.
- Hands-on role in software development, such as coding, database, or testing.
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle and/or Agile methodologies.
- Ability to create graphical diagrams to represent software architecture and processes.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in any relevant field, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Technical Communications certificate is desirable.
- Writing samples are required.
Experience writing with one or more of the following are required:
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe FrameMaker
- Madcap Flare
- Atlassian Confluence
- HTML or XML editor
Experience with any of the following are assets:
- LaTeX, MathType or other mathematical equation editor
- Understanding of C++, Java, or other development language
- Understanding of big data, SQL, or business intelligence reporting
- Issue tracking system such as JIRA
- Git, SVN, or other source code control system
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.)
- Knowledge of financial markets and financial engineering is a definite asset
- Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Effective interaction with subject matter experts.
- Strong collaboration skills in a team environment.
Eligible colleagues must meet the requirements of the job as indicated in the posted job description.
Colleagues must have at least six months of continuous service in their current position with IHS to apply for a posted job, unless approval is granted by the colleagues’ supervisor and Human Resources. This period allows colleagues to become competent in their current role and demonstrate satisfactory performance.
Colleagues must be in good standing in their current role. Colleagues who have received Disciplinary Action or who have been on a Performance Improvement Plan within the past 6 months may not participate in the Job Posting Program, unless approval is granted by the colleague’s supervisor and Human Resources.
Provided that the colleague meets the eligibility requirements mentioned above, as well as the minimum requirements for the position of interest, the colleague should notify his /her supervisor of the intent to apply for an internal position, prior to posting. Any concerns with supervisory notification should be brought to the attention of Human Resources.