Social Media and Marketing Manager
Help build the audience of our brand new publication
Launching in spring 2015, Hakai Magazine will explore science and society in coastal ecosystems. Our editorially-independent, web-based publication will examine the ties between the ocean, land, and human societies through long- and short-form journalism, illustration, photography, and video.
We are looking for a social media and marketing manager to join our small team — we will be a team of 10 at launch — and build our audience from the ground up. Our goal is to create a publication with thoughtful content that will engage readers, inspiring them to contemplate the human relationship with the world’s coastlines.
You will be in charge of building the audience for Hakai Magazine and since we have a small team that means you will be responsible for developing strategies and for execution. Actual day to day tasks will depend partly on the strategies you develop, but will include the following.
- Develop and manage overall marketing and social media strategy
- Assess and refine marketing strategy over time
- Monitor and analyze site and social media analytics
- Test new strategies, new content, and new campaigns and analyze results
- Create and maintain best practices documentation for individual channels and for SEO
- Monitor social media trends, tools, strategy, algorithms, and news
- Train co-workers to monitor and engage in social media
- Post and be actively engaged on social media channels
- Create and adapt posts for specific networks
- Oversee and execute newsletter
- Online PR and peer engagement
- Create and execute reader engagement initiatives (contests, user content aggregation, etc.)
- Moderate magazine’s comments section
- Encourage and help our creators (writers, photographers, illustrators) participate in comments section
- Post in comments section when appropriate
- Degree or diploma in business, communications, or similar
- Minimum five years experience in marketing
- Intimate knowledge of the major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Skilled with the tools of the trade, such as HootSuite, Buffer, TweetDeck, Constant Contact, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and Photoshop, to name a few
- Insatiably curious
- A people person
- An excellent communicator
- Coastal minded
This full time position is located in our waterfront office in beautiful Victoria, BC. Competitive salary will be negotiated based on the experience of the successful candidate.