We're looking for a Senior User Experience designer to join our team. At OpenRoad, we build websites, web applications, and intranets that generate results for our clients and their customers. When it comes to User Experience - we get it. It is baked into our process and our clients hire us because of it.
You are someone that knows that “simple, intuitive, useful” are little words that take big effort to achieve. You have a passion for creating new kinds of user experience and translating requirements into usable designs. You have a willingness and eagerness to learn about new methods and techniques, and are open to working with a great team of analysts, developers, creatives and fellow UX designers.
You will be responsible for:
- Design Research: Perform user research through a variety of ethnographic techniques that may include: observational research, surveys, literature reviews, competitive/comparative analysis, interviews, and usability testing to name a few. Knowing when to choose the appropriate user research method for the design problem at hand is crucial. Research may be performed before, during, or after a design has been brought to life in the course of a project timeline. The research findings will be critical in formulating digital strategy, personas, UX design approach, and UX design refinement for clients.
- Interaction Design: Enact design strategies through innovative and compelling interaction design artifacts for our client's and their end users. Deliverables may include user task flows, conceptual and detailed wireframes, journey maps, and prototypes to communicate the design. You will need the ability to use both quantitative and qualitative research outputs (from analytics to usability testing) to inform your UX design decisions.
- Information Architecture: Create compelling classification and categorization structures that guide the organization of information across websites, web applications, mobile web apps, and intranets, from the broadest system / site-wide level down to the hierarchy of content within a particular interaction on a particular page or screen. Required to have a fundamental understanding of information organization principles.
- Client Meetings and Presentations: Lead client meetings and presentations to elicit requirements as well as present UX design concepts.
- Teamwork: Working as part of an interdisciplinary team of project managers, business analysts, software developers, content strategists, copy writers, visual designers, and engagement partners to ensure project success.
- Making OpenRoad a great place to work: Participating in staff events: corporate planning, lunch and learns, office discussions, seasonal parties, occasional go-karting, picnicking, potlucks, etc.
Applicant must possess good communication and interpersonal skills and be able to solve complex problems and think creatively. You must be willing to learn new methods, keep on top of emerging trends in user-centred design methodologies and web application development, and have an open mind to considering different approaches to solving problems.
- At least 7 years experience working as a User Experience Designer
- A degree in a related field, such as human-computer interaction, human factors, or interaction design
- Understanding of user-centered design, usability, information design, interaction design, and goal-oriented design
- A clear understanding of the multi-device / multi-channel world and experience confronting the UX design challenges and opportunities it presents
- Excellent verbal, writing, visualization, and presentation skills
- Usability testing experience in facilitation, planning and data collection
- Organizational, time management and presentation skills are an asset
- Understanding human behavioural data and characteristics.
- Strong technical proficiency in UX design tools (e.g. Omnigraffle, Visio, Axure, Optimal Workshop, Silverback, Morae, Keynote, Balsamiq, etc.)
- Excellent spoken and written English skills are a must
We offer staff competitive wages (including overtime!), benefits, and a flexible working environment located in Gastown, near bus, Seabus, Skytrain, and Westcoast Express.