SMART is hiring a Senior User Experience Designer for its Seattle or Calgary office.
Purpose of the position
You will be responsible for creating and testing design specifications for SMART software applications with a focus on delivering a positive customer experience. You will work closely with product management in researching and defining product requirement and validating them with customers and end users. You will help prototype and test product ideas before market release and will work collaboratively with development teams on prioritizing features during implementation.
Responsibilities and duties
- Support product management in identifying product requirements through various methods including field studies, testing, data mining and surveys.
- Create wireframes, mock-ups and design specifications for development teams and rapidly deliver design adjustments during implementation.
- Develop user-centered design patterns and interaction flow maps.
- Perform customer validation and usability studies when required.
- Ensure compatibility with hardware solutions and concepts.
- Contribute to the development of user experience methodologies and processes
Supervision provided and received
This position does not have any direct reports. This is a leadership position within development projects with a relentless focus on customer value. You will be expected to work with minimal supervision.
You will work out of the SMART Seattle or Calgary office with site visits to schools and business. Occasional travel may also be required.
Education and work experience
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree with a focus on human-computer interaction, user interface design, human factors, graphic design, industrial design, ergonomics, psychology or computer science.
- A minimum of 8 years of working experience in User Experience or Interaction Design.
- Insanely curious, creatively inclined, technically competent
- Strong time management, communication and negotiation skills
- Proficiency with graphic and UI design software applications that enable efficient transfer of UI design for development
- Knowledge of mobile HCI guidelines and design implications is an asset
- Skilled in user centered design processes and usability validation methodologies
- Experience in a project lead position and with the Agile development process
- Eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Eligible for security clearance for education research