TMX is an integrated, multi-asset class exchange group. TMX’s businesses operate cash and derivative markets for multiple asset classes including equities, fixed income and energy. TMX also provides clearing facilities, data products and other services to the international financial community. In addition to NGX, TMX’s businesses include the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange; the Montreal Exchange which provides interest rate, index and equity derivatives trading and clearing; and TMX Datalinx which offers real-time, historical and index data as well as corporate information, news, derivatives, fixed income and foreign exchange data related to Canadian Capital Markets.
NGX product suite includes physical and financial natural gas spot and forward contracts deliverable in Canada and the U.S.; financial natural gas futures and options for Alberta; physical crude oil spot and forward contracts deliverable in Canada.; financial power forward and futures contracts for selected Canadian and U.S. markets, and ancillary services spot and forward contracts for Alberta.
In 2008, NGX and Intercontinental Exchange (“ICE”) formed a technology and clearing alliance for the North American natural gas and Canadian power markets. Under the arrangement, NGX’s Canadian natural gas and Canadian electricity products are listed for trading on ICE’s platform. NGX serves as the clearing house for these products and select ICE natural gas products in the U.S.. Early in 2011, Canadian and U.S. physical crude oil products were added to the alliance. The alliance continues to be a key partnership for NGX.
NGX cleared and settled over 350,000 exchange trades and over 7,400 OTC contracts with a notional value of over $ 69 billion in 2010. NGX has over 250 Contracting Parties (member firms who have executed the standard Contracting Party’s Agreement and are authourized to clear) and provides clearing and settlement services for a variety of contracts at 65 natural gas hubs, 10 crude oil and three electricity locations in North America.
NGX is subject to bother Canadian and U.S. regulatory environments, as it is an Exchange and Clearing Agency by the Alberta Securities Commission and a derivatives clearing organization (‘DCO’) and foreign board of trade (‘FBOT’) by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (‘CFTC’).
Key Accountabilities:A key member of the NGX marketing team, the Senior Marketer will be accountable for developing and executing strategies and tactics to maintain and increase activity in the core electricity, oil and natural gas and data business lines of NGX. The Senior Marketer will be a key member of the NGX marketing team. Familiarity with North American natural gas, electricity and crude oil markets are critical, experience with direct marketing and customer relationship management is important. Additionally, the individual must be able to think strategically over a multi-year period and possess strong analytical, business, interpersonal and communication skills, along with a proven ability to work effectively on teams in a high – pressure, fast – paced environment.
• Develop and execute strategic and tactical plans required to maintain and grow the core businesses (natural gas, electricity, oil) of NGX.
• Planning and managing marketing activities, develop and manage revenue, operating and capital budgets.
• Contribute to the development of overall strategies of NGX.
• Effectively and creatively manage a portfolio of existing customers.
• Identify growth opportunities in core businesses of NGX and develop and implement plans to realize the opportunities.
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with customers and stakeholders. Become seen as a subject matter expert on key business issue pertaining to the NGX Core Business.
• Contribute to performance targets for NGX and meeting or exceeding those targets.
• Be an effective contributor to the NGX marketing team.
• Gather market intelligence and convert into information.
• Able to look over the longer term and discern trends and their impacts on the NGX core business.
Must Have Skills:• 5 – 10 years of demonstrated experience in either natural gas or electricity industries.
• 5 + years of experience working directly with customers.
• Proven track record of developing and executing strategies and tactics.
• Post secondary degree in either commerce, engineering or related discipline.
• Understanding of gas pipeline infrastructure
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Effective written communication skills
• Strong team player with an ability to work independently
• A strong negotiator.
• Complex problem solver – identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Comfort in working in rapidly evolving business environment
• Effective manager of time
• Able to formulate and champion new views while working effectively as part of a consensus-driven team.
• Personal discipline and drive to succeed.