Since 2003, The Tyee has been publishing original stories about B.C. and Canada’s news, culture, and solutions to pressing issues. We're devoted to fact-driven reporting and analysis that informs and enlivens our democratic conversation. Our reporting has won many awards and the respect of our peers and readers. While some journalism gives the last word to power, we try to give the last word to ordinary folks.
The Tyee is a small and scrappy team of writers, editors, and entrepreneurial thinkers. We don’t put our articles behind a paywall, and we’re committed to paying our contributors. So where does the money come from? A variety of sources, including ad sales and promotional partnerships with groups that are a good fit for our readership.
As the Sales and Partnerships Coordinator, you will support The Tyee’s operations by securing advertising and promotional contracts with clients and identifying potential sponsorship opportunities. The Sales and Partnerships Coordinator will be responsible for implementing all aspects of advertising deals, from start to finish. Working closely other colleagues, you’ll brainstorm creative ways to support our business operations in a rapidly-changing industry.
- Have exceptional people skills, and can tactfully build and maintain relationships with clients and prospective clients
- Have 2+ years of experience in a revenue-generating role, with a proven track record of success
- Are motivated to drum up new leads and close deals
- Are a self-starter who can take a challenging task and run with it
- Are a creative thinker that enjoys coming up with new ideas generating revenue that supports our award-winning reporters
- Have exceptional copywriting skills
- Have some understanding of good communication design practices, and can consult with clients on how best to design their digital campaigns
- Keep up with the fast-changing world of digital advertising, and have ideas about how to adapt
- Have familiarity with The Tyee, our mission, and can act as a good ambassador in the community
- Have familiarity with Google’s Double Click for Publishers, or are able to learn the platform quickly
Primary responsibilities include:
- Meeting budgeted revenue targets by closing ad deals and securing sponsorship agreements
- Seeking new advertising clients through outbound sales calls and meetings
- Stewarding existing advertising client relationships
- Managing all aspects of advertising on The Tyee, including prospecting, preparing quotes, closing deals, consulting on design, some copywriting if necessary, trafficking ads, monitoring campaigns, and providing reports to clients
- Working with the business office to identify potential sponsors for Tyee events
- Staying abreast of media industry & advertising industry developments and trends
Position is full time, Vancouver-based. Compensation depends on experience, but is a blend of salary and performance bonus.