The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premier ballet company and one of the world's top international dance companies, is looking for a Publicity Manager to join our dynamic Communications team.
Under the leadership of Karen Kain, the company is experiencing an unprecedented level of artistic excellence, attracting some of the world’s most sought after choreographers, mounting spectacular new productions, and touring to the most important dance centres in North America and abroad. The need to stay ahead in public relations and social media is paramount in ensuring Ms. Kain’s powerful artistic vision reaches out to the broadest potential audience.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager, the Publicity Manager will lead a two person team to create and implement a strategic public relations plan for The National Ballet of Canada.
- Implement innovative strategies to promote and secure positive media coverage of the activities and artists of the National Ballet
- Develop stories to increase awareness of the National Ballet in both traditional and non-traditional media
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with media while assessing and analyzing the evolving media landscape to determine best practices and tactics
- Strategize and plan announcements, openings, events, video and photo shoots and key National Ballet initiatives
- Manage the Digital Media Officer and Publicity Coordinator
- Support overarching objectives of the Communications department and ensure that all messaging is in line with the National Ballet brand for a cohesive strategic plan
- Tactical on and off-site interview coordination
- Manage all media inquiries
- Create publicity materials, including media releases, pitches, bios, key messages, Q&A’s and curate daily company email “Articles of Interest” to keep the company informed of publicity activities
- Degree in Public Relations or Communications, or related field
- Minimum five years’ publicity experience, preferably in a managerial role
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Team player, able to multi-task and produce under high pressure situations
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude with ability to build a rapport with the media
- Highly creative and strategic thinker, with the ability to consistently deliver new ideas
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, with an exposure to video and Photoshop an asset
- Understanding as well as an appreciation and passion for the performing arts
- Able to work evenings and weekends, as required during the performance season