The Pirurvik Centre, a Nunavut-based and Inuit owned company dedicated to Inuit culture, language and well-being seeks a Publication Designer to improve and expand our print publications, web resources and other digital media, most of which are in the Inuktut language. This will be an initial six month contract with the possibility of an extension.
Working at Pirurvik’s Ottawa office alongside the Director of Productions, the Publication Designer will take on the following duties:
- Under the supervision of the Director of Productions, designing and developing print and web-based language resources, textbooks and training materials, from concept to completion;
- With input from the Pirurvik team, developing graphics and illustrations used in print and digital media;
- Creating and manipulating vector graphics and photographic images;
- Providing options on colours, images, typography, layout and full production;
- Incorporating changes recommended by the Director of Pirurvik Press into final designs;
- Reviewing designs for errors before production;
- Preparing specifications for printing quotes;
- Preparing files for pre-press;
- Reviewing printer proofs;
- Travelling to Nunavut as needed to assist with Pirurvik’s programs and events;
- Other design duties as required.
Required skills and experience:
- A minimum of three years of experience designing and producing print and/or digital publications, preferably in an editorial environment;
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator);
- Strong skills in production and the creation and use of styles;
- Post-secondary education in graphic design;
- Skills in typography are a strong asset;
- An ability to work effectively in a multi-lingual and cross-cultural team environment.