EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies around the world.
The Public Relations (Communications) Specialist within Brand Marketing and Communications (BMC) at EY is responsible for providing strategic advice and counsel to leaders and internal colleagues on communications and programs that contribute to differentiating EY, the ways in which we rally our teams around our business strategy and the distinctive brand we present to our clients and communities.
The PR (Communications) Specialist is a senior member of the national BMC team who develops strategies and materials to help communicate important issues and messages to potential and current employees, clients, alumni and media. This role supports, promotes and enhances engagement by developing strategic communications plans and executing media plans consistent with the national marketing goals of the firm, with a particular focus on industries in British Columbia.
Working closely with the Go to Market Assistant Director, Public Relations Assistant Director, Market Segment Leader and BMC colleagues across Canada (and beyond), this role will be expected to build strong relationships with executives and process owners and acquire the subject matter expertise necessary to be a strategic advisor on communications, engagement and the EY brand.
The incumbent must be an excellent writer, editor and confident relationship builder. S/he must communicate creatively and effectively about EY with various stakeholders, including media. The candidate will need to translate business-development strategy into measurable communications tactics aligned with EY’s over-arching marketing and business goals.
- Write and edit a range of communications, including press releases, daily internal news stories, regular newsletter articles, scripts, leadership messages and town hall content.
- Offer strategic advice and counsel to leadership on communications strategies, internal engagement best practices and more.
- Work closely with internal groups to understand their marketing needs and create communications plans to address EY’s strategic priorities.
- Act as an ambassador and strategic advisor for internal communications channels including the Daily News and EY Homepage.
- Recommend how best to promote communications pieces, increasing awareness with clients on best practices and selecting appropriate communications channels.
- Coordinate content and creation of industry-focused thought leadership as it relates to our public relations visibility across BC, specifically related to mining and metals, energy, technology, real estate and government & public sector.
- Draft for review and edit press releases, key messages, briefing documents, talking points, statements, FAQs, by-lined articles and more — including creating Canadian versions of global materials.
- Proactively work with internal clients to draft media relations plans and materials for key industries, service lines, events, sponsorships and other initiatives.
- Develop and leverage relationships with media contacts at national publications and strategic alliances in order to execute media relations plans.
- Assess interview requests, source appropriate spokespeople and coordinate interviews.
- Develop and lead media training for identified internal spokespeople, including interview-specific preparation.
- As required, assist the PR Leader in communications planning to manage crisis response and issues-based inquiries.
- Support projects in other areas of the local and national BMC teams as needed
To qualify, candidates must have:
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in journalism, communications or public relations.
- Five years progressive communications experience in a related field.
- First-class communication skills - excellent written and oral communications (including presentations) as well as listening and interpretation skills.
- Professional services and resources industry knowledge an asset.
- Relationships with media an asset.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate confidently across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience and success working in a high pressure, deadline-driven environment.
- Track record of creativity and innovation.
- Proven ability to influence and build collaborative relationships with senior-level stakeholders.
- Familiarity with social media tools.