This position is responsible for creating and maintaining written content that conveys UBC Continuing Studies' voice and vision throughout our various marketing and communication channels, bringing our program, student, instructor and staff and stories to life. The position is responsible for crafting engaging, persuasive, accessible, compelling and inspirational copy for all media to help UBC Continuing Studies (CS) achieve its marketing and enrolment objectives.
The position is part of an in-house marketing team that reports to the Managing Director, Student Engagement and Marketing. The position works closely with marketing team members, especially the Graphic Designers and colleagues coordinating marketing projects, in a team-oriented, entrepreneurial environment. The position also collaborates with CS program directors, program leaders and other program/support staff where appropriate.
- Creates and maintains effective written content across a wide range of CS online and offline marketing channels to engage diverse target audiences and help fulfill marketing objectives.
- Working from a creative brief and collaborating with a graphic designer, develops creative concepts for various promotional campaigns.
- Develops content that ranges from (but is not limited to) headlines, program/course descriptions, ad copy, email copy, student and instructor profiles, scripts for video recordings, press releases, and blog and social media posts. Responsible for proper placement, context and meaning of every word at a detailed level in support of the overall message of all creative assignments. Substantive editing of copy supplied by others sometimes required.
- Researches and writes content specifically for CS domestic and international websites factoring in SEO considerations to generate increased website traffic. Includes managing some website content through content management software.
- Works with CS marketing colleagues and key program area contacts to develop and maintain a master content calendar for all web properties, and develops systems and processes to track e8ditorial schedules to ensure timelines of website updates.
- Responsible for the effectiveness and accuracy of content for the CS course catalogues. Liaises with CS program units to write promotional copy including student stories. Works with Graphic Designers and Managing Director, Student Engagement and Marketing on the overarching creative concept for each catalogue. Responsible for overall implementation of the production schedule related to the CS course catalogue.
- Proactively defines and assembles all necessary content assets with the Graphic Designers and colleagues coordinating marketing projects.
- Upholds UBC brand standards including verbal brand identity to ensure tone of voice, course and program names and promotional language is on point. Liaises with the UBC Digital Storyteller and other UBC Communications and Marketing colleagues on UBC storytelling initiatives and UBC's overall strategic communication goals as they pertain to CS.
- Develops, manages and adheres to a detailed CS copy style guide. Crafts written guidelines for CS templates and marketing assets.
- Responsible for implementation of marketing projects such as ads, emails, annual reports, social media posts, brochures etc. as required.
- Creates and deploys training to CS staff on effective copywriting and storytelling.
- Maintains familiarity with major communication and online trends and issues.
- Performs other copywriting, editing, proofreading and related duties as required.
The position works independently under the general direction of the Managing Director, Student Engagement and Marketing, and within the parameters of the strategic goals, policies and practices of UBC Continuing Studies. Work is reviewed for achievement of effective communications and storytelling in support of marketing objectives within a team-oriented environment.
Oversees copy assignments performed by Marketing Services colleagues and external consultants (advertising and design firms).
This position may provide functional direction to project collaborators including but not limited to the CS Web Developer, Online Marketing Coordinator, Graphic Designers, as well as marketing colleagues responsible for coordinating marketing projects.
Diploma in Marketing. A bachelor's degree in Marketing Communications, Creative Writing, Communication Arts, English or equivalent. Minimum of one year experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of three years experience working in an advertising or digital agency as a creative copywriter or equivalent. Highly versatile writing skills and a strong understanding of and attention to detail in terms of spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc. Proven experience developing and deploying communication strategies and programs. Experience with writing copy for international audiences an asset. Demonstrated initiatives that have achieved results. Thorough knowledge and understanding of digital engagement strategies and how to inform and provide utility whether on a mobile app or in social media. Clear understanding of great branded storytelling. Ability to see the big picture opportunities and challenges as well as manage to the finest detail. An innovative thinker who can create compelling stories that resonate with target audiences. Outstanding oral and written communication skills with the capacity to translate complex information into simple compelling stories. Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team environment. Exceptional service orientation and interpersonal skills. Able to work independently, work to tight deadlines and manage competing priorities. Passionate, articulate and excited to champion changes that improve marketing messaging and engage target audiences. A person who understands and embraces the art and science of marketing. Appropriate computer experience with the MS suite of software. Experience with content management software, especially Drupal, an asset. Multilingual capabilities an asset. Portfolio required.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.