Posting Close Date: 26 April 2016
About this Opportunity
Are you fascinated with words? Do you have a passion for writing? Do you believe in the power of clear and concise language? Are you intensely rooted in digital media? If so, Continuing Studies at UVic has a job for you!
Working within the University and Continuing Studies frameworks and under the general direction of the Director of Division Marketing Services (DMS), you will be a key member of the marketing unit, leading the development and implementation of Continuing Studies’ digital content strategy. You will employ tactics that support recruitment and retention goals and enhance the Division’s reputation at the local, provincial, national and international levels. You are imaginative, collaborative and comfortable working within a diverse group of people to create exceptional digital experiences.
Your mission is to capture the Continuing Studies experience in words. Whether you’re writing digital ad copy, whole web pages or an email subject line, you understand that every word is an opportunity to engage the reader and sustain their interest. Your writing is so infectious that people will follow you wherever you lead them.
Your task is not simply about “marketing” or “informing”: it’s about building a long-lasting relationship with people who love to learn. You have the ability to turn a three-page academic course description into one paragraph of email copy or a small online ad that inspires readers to take action.
The Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) offers, in conjunction with academic and external partners, a comprehensive portfolio of programs and courses in a range of academic disciplines (Arts & Science, Business, Management & Technology, Continuing Studies in Education, Cultural Resource Management, English Language Centre, Health and Public Relations) using diploma, certificate, degree and other programming models to serve adult, part-time, international and geographically dispersed students. The Division is a leader in the development, delivery and support of distance education programming at UVic and in using innovative, interactive and flexible learning strategies to enable students to access educational programming suited to their personal and professional needs. In terms of scope, the Division has annual registrations of approximately 15,000 and has approximately 85 administrative staff, 75 ELC teachers, 1100 sessional instructors, 40 part-time cultural assistants, and dozens of volunteers.
As a vital member of DCS’ Division Marketing Services (DMS), and working within the University and DCS frameworks, this position leads the development and implementation of DCS’ content strategy and plan to support its recruitment and retention goals and enhance its reputation at the local, provincial, national and international levels. In order to achieve this goal the incumbent is required to collaborate with the subject matter experts—staff from six diverse program areas.
This position is responsible for the creation of engaging, action-driven content, primarily in digital media, which not only captures the mind but the heart of the readers and starts a long-lasting relationship.
The position reports to the Director, Division Marketing Services and receives general direction from the Director as it relates to DCS’ objectives and its overall marketing strategy, objectives and plans. The incumbent is expected to effectively manage the day-to-day workload in order to achieve these objectives.
Must have Education, Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree (English, Journalism or other writing-focused communications program).
- Minimum three years of recent experience writing for the web, and developing and managing electronic media content including social media campaigns.
- Experience/skills in developing and maintaining web content for complex websites with multiple audiences (examples/samples will be required) using web content management systems.
- Minimum two years of recent demonstrated, hands-on experience with SEO and SEM and thorough understanding of current SEO and SEM principles.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their functionality and limitations, social media metrics, social listening and scheduling tools, digital analytics, and ability to generate, analyze and interpret data.
- Solid working knowledge of current email marketing principles and software (such as Campaigner).
- Experience filming videos for the web using DSLR cameras, lighting and sound equipment.
- Experience editing videos with off-line editing software such as Adobe Premiere.
- Proven experience and ability to collaborate with other writers and internal clients.
- Proven experience in prioritizing tasks and working on multiple projects within tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Google AdWords, Analytics and Tag Manager.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HTML.
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
- Solid understanding of marketing concepts and experience in a marketing environment.
- Working knowledge of Apple and Microsoft Office environments.
Preferred Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Google Certification (AdWords, Analytics, Tag Manager).
- Understanding and knowledge of the broad skill areas that support website development such as editorial, art, technical, QA, and integration.
- 1-3 years of experience with graphic or web design, proficiency with web development tools and technology.
- Certification in filmmaking or related field.
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign.
Competencies & Personal Attributes
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including negotiating, team building and ability to interact and build consensus among a wide variety and range of staff.
- Outstanding, demonstrated written communication skills including proofreading, editing and grammar.
- Ability to understand the needs and motivations of and write for different audiences.
- Familiarity with different writing styles.
- Open mind, desire and enthusiasm to learn new technologies and concepts.
- Affinity for working in an interactive team environment.
- Ability to explain and present intangible (marketing or writing) concepts to a non-marketing audience in a clear, concise and convincing manner.
- Active listening skills and ability to articulate/defend ideas.
- Ability to creatively approach and solve problems.
- Demonstrated project and time management skills. Flexible approach to projects, showing a willingness to adapt as requirements evolve.
- Extremely strong attention to detail and accuracy.
About UVic The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact Grace Wong Sneddon, Director, Academic Leadership Initiatives and Advisor to the Provost on Equity and Diversity at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.