Position: Marketing & Communications Specialist
Reports To: Manager
Status: Full-time, permanent
Application Deadline: December 5, 2014
The Mental Health Commission of Canada is a not-for-profit organization created to focus national attention on mental health issues and to work to improve the health and social outcomes of people living with mental illness.
The Commission has a mandate to develop a Mental Health Strategy for Canada; to implement an Anti-Stigma/Anti-Discrimination program, to develop a Knowledge Exchange Centre for the mental health field, and to conduct a national research project on mental health and homelessness.
The Mental Health Commission’s head office is located in Calgary, Alberta, with a second office in Ottawa, Ontario.
The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) is seeking an energetic, versatile and creative Marketing & Communications Specialist to join its energetic team. While the title sais specialist, we are looking for that unique individual who has the task-juggling abilities of a generalist – copy writer, social media message creator, idea generator, combined with the skillset to oversee all aspects of a project.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing & Communications, the MarCom Specialist will assume overall responsibility for creating, implementing and assessing a number of projects, in collaboration with all members of the MarCom team. The work of the MarCom Specialist facilitates the implementation of long- and short-term strategies to raise the profile of the MHCC.
This position is responsible for executing tactics for the promotion of the MHCC programs and initiatives through a variety of communication channels including print, digital, and social networks. The MarCom Specialist creates, writes, and edits internal and external communications pieces including subject specific research, and strategic planning and execution, as well as liaising with suppliers and vendors (e.g. designers, translators, printers, web developers, etc.). Strong writing, editing, communication, project management, strategic thinking and leadership skills are required. Equally important is the ability to work creatively within a team towards the successful conclusion of a project that is on brief, on budget, and delivered on time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop marketing and communications strategies for key programs, campaigns that include objectives, goals, budget, and metrics
- Execute processes that track the various phases of marketing and communications projects
- Establish, define, and deliver specific campaign plans on brief, on budget, and on time
- Identify opportunities (traditional and digital) to expand awareness of the MHCC
- Develop and support campaign strategies for MHCC programs during all phases - research, launches, and ongoing
- Develop and create corporate and program specific collateral adhering to Commission guidelines
- Support and leverage all appropriate communication tactics with a strong focus on both, internal and external strategies
- Effectively manage projects on brief, on budget, and on time in alignment with MHCC’s mandate, objectives and MarCom goals
- A range of multi-tasking skills, including time management, are required to juggle and prioritize a variety of projects
- Results oriented; take initiative to identify areas for improvement and potential solutions
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The ability to:
- develop high quality, communication materials with timely, relevant, accurate, and creative content.
- utilize various marketing and communication tools effectively.
- target content appropriately to varying audiences.
- communicate clearly and effectively through the spoken word and in writing.
- Proactively develop and maintain excellent relationships with team members, all staff, suppliers, and other target audiences as required.
- In consultation with MHCC programs and stakeholders, develop and implement effective and focused MarCom plans with a variety of tactics to promote and raise the profile of the MHCC, and its different programs and initiatives towards set objectives and deliverables
- Develop and write quality and timely communication materials, both print and on-line
- Research and write newsletter articles, ad copy, video scripts, and social media messaging
- A related university degree and a minimum of five years’ experience in marketing and communications with an emphasis on traditional and online forms of writing for a wide variety of internal and external communications products. Candidates with five+ years’ experience in the workforce will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit, and proofread at an advanced level with accuracy in grammar, spelling, and content verification.
- Expertise in creating compelling MarCom pieces for a wide variety of audiences using multiple communication vehicles. MarCom experience in a large complex organization is a strong asset.
- Excellent research and interview skills required.
- Writing proficiency for traditional and online MarCom products including articles, brochures, annual reports, ads and social media campaigns.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to handle diverse assignments with tact, courtesy, and discretion.
- Proven ability in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver) and web content management systems (CMS) is considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and decision making.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels, and with design, communications, and printing services required.
- Proven ability to work to deadline while managing multiple projects and related tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- ‘Eagle-Eye’ attention to detail required.
- Please note that work in this position will be undertaken in English; proficiency in both official languages would be considered an asset.
- A related university degree and a minimum of five years experience in marketing and communications with an emphasis on traditional and online forms of writing for a wide variety of internal and external communications products. Candidates with five+ years experience in the workforce will be considered.
Values and Ethics
Respectful of Diversity
Teamwork and Cooperation
Health, Safety and Wellness (Physical and Psychological)
- Extended visual requirements (5 plus hours) due to computer-related work
- High requirement for multitasking and effectively dividing attention to numerous duties and responsibilities
- High degree of concentration required (meetings, presentations, etc.)
- High analytical and interpretive requirements
- Continuously deadline driven requirements
- High level of multitasking
- Moderate to high level exposure to stress resulting from complex interactions, stakeholder relations, and output requirements
- High level requirement to maintain concentration for extended periods of time in order to maximize stakeholder engagement, perform situational strategic analysis and interpretation of data and minimize errors
- Capacity to effectively organize and prioritize own work
- High degree of emotional intelligence required in order to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, influence and inspire others, work well in a team, and manage conflict
- Responsive to possible rapid changes in priorities
- Adaptable to change (organizational and environmental)
- Performance goals and objectives are established yearly and regularly reviewed.