The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers.
With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Department: Civic Theatres, Community Services
Competition #: 2015-0006
Application Close: February 20, 2015
Affiliation: CUPE Local 15 Bargaining Unit (VMECW)
Main Purpose & Function
The Marketing & Communications (M & C) Coordinator, works in conjunction with the Director, and is responsible for developing, leading and supporting a variety of communications and marketing strategies for the Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT) and it’s venues, The Queen Elizabeth Theatre, The Orpheum, The Vancouver Playhouse and the Orpheum Annex. The position will be responsible for identifying business and marketing opportunities in order to raise the profile of the VCT and enhance and increase the usage of VCT facilities. The position will work with the Director to develop a new brand, to provide content and support to the website and to create a long range strategic plan for the VCT. The position will liaise with media contacts, the arts community and various stakeholders.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Working with the Director, develops overall marketing and communication strategy and seeks to develop new business opportunities.
- Develops a brand for the VCT that integrates with the marketing plan.
- Creates a variety of promotional and informational material related to the VCT.
- Analyzes sales data in order to determine where marketing strategies should focus, change or be revised.
- Supports the VCT website, updates and ensures it is serving the needs of clients, patrons and other users.
- Develops and supports social media functions.
- Develops and implements community activity initiatives that align with the mandate and strategic plan of the VCT.
- Ensures signage is maintained and aligned with the marketing strategy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or a related discipline and at least five to seven years’ experience in a communications or marketing position, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
- Experience serving as media contact and spokesperson.
- Experience working in the arts community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to create marketing and communication plans focused on the arts community.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking and in creating and writing promotional and informational materials.
- Ability to make sound decisions and anticipate needs and appropriate timing for communication needs.
- Considerable knowledge of graphic design processes, photography, video production and print and web production.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle numerous tasks.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to understand financial reports and information and apply it to marketing strategies.
- Thorough knowledge of the media.
- Ability to remain calm, alert and high functioning under stressful conditions.
- Ability to use relevant software programs.