Purpose of Role:
Contribute to the success of MEG Energy Corp’s operations by providing accurate and timely accounting of marketing activities and providing accounting support to meet the demands of a growing business.
The successful candidate’s primary responsibility will be for the settlement and accounting of marketing transactions including blend sales, condensate purchases, transportation charges, crude/condensate by rail business and pipeline/storage balancing. Other duties may include providing support to other areas within the Finance department as required.
- Preparation of monthly blend sales invoices
- Verification and reconciliation of 3rd party documents including purchases, rail shipper statements along with transportation and storage charges
- Communication with treasury department on cash settlements of accounts receivable and payable balances associated with marketing transactions
- Follow up and resolve outstanding accounts receivable balances associated with marketing transactions
- Monthly rail/pipeline/storage balancing and preparation of monthly inventory valuations
- Providing data for the calculation of the month end marketing accruals for sales, condensate purchases and inventory
- Preparation of all related journal entries
- Other duties may include:
- Providing data for the calculation of internal netback price for input into royalty calculations
- Providing data for cross border transfer price calculations
Skills and Knowledge:
- Detail oriented, organized and able to meet deadlines
- Takes initiative in understanding tasks and expanding knowledge
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- 5 to 7 years related industry experience, knowledge of accounting for marketing crude by rail would be an asset
- Bachelor of Commerce or an equivalent degree and have completed or currently pursuing a professional accounting designation
- Motivated individual who is a team player with a positive attitude
- Proficient with Excel
- Experience with Allegro, Qbyte and Access Database would be an asset
MEG Energy Corp. (“MEG”) is a rapidly growing and well-capitalized energy company headquartered in Calgary.
MEG is focused on oil sands development in the Athabasca region of Alberta and owns a 100% working interest in over 800 square miles of oil sands leases. These leases are estimated to contain in excess of six billion barrels of oil in place and approximately three billion barrels of recoverable resource. MEG’s initial development consists of 80 contiguous square miles of oil sands leases in the Christina Lake area which form the basis of its Christina Lake Regional Project (the “Project”). The first phase of the Project has commenced production and when further phases of the Project are completed, the Project is expected to produce over 200,000 barrels per day.