Bring your analytical skills, client focus and housing economics expertise to the position of Market Analyst (Housing) in Calgary.
As a member of the Market Analysis team, you will be responsible for highly skilled analysis and forecasts on local and regional housing markets. You will also be responsible for the ongoing production of a standard suite of market analysis products and services.
This full-time permanent position is an exceptional opportunity for a self-motivated, performance driven team player with strong analytical skills and an interest in the housing sector to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES as a Market Analyst will involve:
- Monitoring, analyzing and forecasting housing starts and factors that influence housing markets such as population growth, migration, employment, income, exports, inflation, and industry trends.
- Conducting statistical analysis and econometric modelling to understand how endogenous and exogenous factors influence housing demand.
- Producing client reports such as the Housing Now, Housing Market Outlook, the Rental Market Report and other standard publications.
- Coordinating aspects of the report production process and coordinating aspects of CMHC sponsored events.
- Preparing special reports to assess specific housing markets.
- Providing reports and advice to mortgage loan insurance colleagues, including presentations and custom reports for lenders, project reviews for multiple underwriting and default management, and advice on specific projects and deals.
- Building and maintaining relationships with industry groups and associations through the preparation and delivery of presentations and attendance at industry meetings; promoting other CMHC products and services to build client levels.
- Preparing media releases on topics related to housing markets and responding to media inquiries, and increasing CMHC visibility through media, conferences and marketing efforts.
- Consulting with others in the industry to gather information and intelligence to help identify areas of useful research.
YOUR PROFILE as a Market Analyst includes:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Urban Planning, Real Estate Finance or Business Administration and at least three years of experience of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may also be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing business and economic conditions
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with the media and presenting complex information to clients
- Demonstrated experience in conducting basic linear equation modelling, forecasting using time series analysis and drawing statistical inferences
- Demonstrated experience with statistical software such as EViews, Stata or GIS
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Broad knowledge of the housing sector
- Strong analytical and intuitive skills – ability to reason logically, develop assumptions, and synthesize data, analyze business and economic conditions and interpret their impact on both the housing market and CMHC operations
- Expert communication skills (written and oral), including the ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly in a variety of settings and styles to communicate messages that have the desired effect
- Good organizational skills, including project management and the ability to undertake and complete concurrent tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of computer applications including Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated
- Client Focus
- Valuing and Respecting Individuals
- Analytical Thinking
- Maximizing Quality
- Relationship Management
- Bilingualism is considered an important asset
Because what I do matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
As a CMHC employee, you will have access to a wide variety of opportunities in our business lines – housing finance, assisted housing, policy and research – and in the support services that are integral partners in the delivery of our business. If you want to work alongside other committed professionals who thrive on the challenging work they do every day, to make a real difference, and to be able to say with conviction “what I do matters”, make CMHC your career choice.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. Please note however, that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
The deadline for submitting your application is 11:59 pm ET on Aug 16, 2015.
Competition No. : 5553
Organization : Office of the V.-P., Housing Markets and Indicators
Eligibility for Overtime Compensation : Yes
Eligibility : Open to casual, contract and regular employees (including probationary employees) and to external recruitment
Language Designation : English Essential
Position Level : 8
Security Requirement : Reliability Status