As a pivotal position in the international marketing and recruitment division, the Manager, International Applicant Relations manages all aspects of the international applicants’ experience becoming a UFV student (self-referred, partnership-referred, and international student recruitment staff and agent referred) through pre-application, application and admission processes.
The Manager works closely with OREG, recruitment agencies, and international recruitment team, and staff to ensure consistency and accuracy of admission, program, and application-related information, protocols and communications.
This position assists with and troubleshoots related issues arising; proactively trains, advises, and supports recruitment agents; and reports on application, admission and recruitment agency trends that inform ISEM strategies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as primary support and contact for all applicants (individual and referred), addresses issues and problem-solves to ensure application completion, including resolving Banner application issues with OREG.
- Troubleshoots and problem-solves for international applicants and/or their referral agents throughout the admissions process, either directly or by delegating to support staff.
- Assists potential and returning applicants and/or their authorized agents by e-mail, phone, and in-person to answer questions about meeting admission entrance requirements, pathways to programs and alternate programs.
- Liaises with partner institutions about application completion and admission letters for student exchange and visiting student exchanges.
- Acts as primary contact for referral agents, provides front-line customer service and support of their efforts to apply qualified applicants to UFV programs.
- Resolves agents’ application/admission questions or issues on a daily basis.
- Trains new and current agents regarding current UFV admission requirements and processes; International and OREG rules and policies; application completion and tracking in agency dashboard.
- Applies knowledge and expertise to assist agents in converting applicants; and advises and reports to agents on conversion tactics based on their track record.
- Creates and distributes agent application and admissions e-mail to update agents on relevant changes and/or departmental announcements.
- Provides web-based on-line tools that support agents’ recruitment efforts (e.g. agent communications/student communications/available programs by semester/agent resource sheet/agency dashboard development on the application portal).
- Informs recruitment team and other relevant departments of pertinent study permit program updates, UFV Admissions, and UFV program-related changes to ensure clarity and consistency of UFV application and admission processes.
- Manages the communication to local and overseas high school applicants for conversion to UFV student; scholarships; reminders for submission of official documents and submitting PSI requirements for release of official transcripts to UFV (XML transcripts).
- Manages international entrance scholarship recipient adjudication process and reporting;
- Participates in FAM tours, partner recruitment fairs, and other recruitment-related events, as needed.
- Works with Associate Director, Marketing and Applicant Relations in conjunction with OREG admissions to help develop business processes for international applications and admissions.
- Stays up to date on IRCC study permit program to ensure UFV’s International student admission letter templates meet IRCC expectations.
- Liaises with OREG-Admissions and logs day-to-day issues to track and ensure resolution.
- Manages communication on web application portal homepage and maintains web application portal, application and admissions information, and agency-related information on the UFV International website.
- Provides updates/changes to the application or to the applicant/agency dashboards, as required.
- Manages applications to ensure they are pushed daily to UFV International database (CRM), ensuring student application data entry accuracy/integrity by executing Administrative Options daily (e.g. Deferral Report; Duplicate ID report; Banner Admission Status; Delete Student Info, etc.); making any corrections; and providing training on corrections/process changes.
- Trains and oversees staff who assist with application data-entry and preparation for OREG admissions processing and International intake and registration planning and preparations.
- Manages Web Application function from CRM; edits content to direct application flow and ability for applicant to complete application.
- Reviews CRM and Banner for accurate and comprehensive list of programs for UFV International website and application portal (e.g. drop-down lists of programs by semester).
- Sets up new users of CRM, and updates and maintains the User Profile in CRM; and creates IT tickets for all errors/potential projects.
- Routinely works with Analyst, International Enrolment and Registration to review and provide accurate applicant data, capture/identify all student/agent/partner/UFV India and anomalous applicant data, and ensure data integrity that facilitates accurate and efficient processing of course/section planning for registration; refining the new student intake list for check-in and Orientation planning; of the international student file clean-up after each semester’s stable date.
- Maintains Business Intelligence tool scholarship report which provides data, final report, and recommendations for international entrance scholarship recipients.
- Provides reports on agent performance including conversion.
- Communicates in a respectful and professional manner with all members of the team, department, University community and external partners.
- Collaborates effectively as a team member, including sharing information, cross training and interpersonal cooperation.
- Demonstrates respect for all members of the UFV community, actively contributing to an environment of acceptance and inclusivity of others.
- Participates in committees and project teams as required.
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree from recognized post-secondary institution.
- Minimum three (3) years related work experience in international education field (international student admissions and/or recruitment) at the public post-secondary level.
- A professional client-services orientation with excellent interpersonal, written, oral and intercultural communication skills.
- Able to communicate and work effectively across of the institution and internationally exercising good judgment, tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Effective, clear presentation and facilitation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of BC secondary system, and post-secondary system including application and admissions policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding of IRCC Study Permit general and specific program regulations and their implications for post-secondary admissions documents, communications, and processes.
- Detailed understanding of educational systems and credentials in primary international student markets (e.g. India, China).
- Advanced proficiency/competence in MS Office: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Advanced proficiency with relational databases (e.g. Banner) with ability to identify database development needs.
- Strong research and reporting skills
- Able to analyze and problem-solve exercising initiative, judgment, tact, and discretion.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; able to prioritize numerous tasks, under tight timelines maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and effectively within a team.
- Possess an understanding of, and commitment to international students and international education
- Able to work flexible hours.
- Competence in language(s) other than English related to UFV’s international recruitment strategy an asset.
The University of the Fraser Valley is located on the unceded (ancestral) territory of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. We express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in S’olh Temexw (Our World; Our Land). In all that we do, UFV strives to support and honour the Stó:lo peoples goals of self-determination and well-being on these lands. A commitment to Indigenization and Reconciliation is core to our institutional Vision and our Education Plan. This commitment includes the goal of centring Indigenous ways of knowing throughout our organization, recognizing our responsibilities to community, and a multi-year plan to increase the number of Indigenous faculty, staff, and administrators working at UFV.
UFV has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check and/ or a verification of their education credentials.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.