Competition Number: A-018-05-2016
Position Number: A9984
Closing Date: 06-14-2016
This position is responsible for managing the team involved in digital marketing materials and activities, including web design, web development, social media strategy and online advertising.
Responsibilities include: managing the College's web strategy, social media and engagement strategy, and digital marketing communications.
- Manages the College's Web and Mobile Strategy:
a. Ensures the integrity and continuity of the VCC website and any other College web properties and mobile applications.
b. Works closely with IT leadership to ensure effective collaboration between web team and IT staff, and any external vendors on web and mobile projects.
c. Leads any large web or mobile application development projects, including requirements gathering, RFPs, vendor selection and relationship management, budget and deadline management, and oversees related user training initiatives.
d. Responsible for updating and establishing web governance policies and processes, as required. Works to create new or amend existing college web policies.
e. Manages business processes related to the maintenance and administration of College web properties and mobile applications.
f. Oversees the institution's content strategy in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, advises and supports departments and administrative units on enhancing their web content. Presents plans to internal clients, as needed. Plans and oversees content audits.
g. Leads and provides oversight to mobile marketing initiatives.
h. Provides leadership to the College's search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) efforts.
i. Produces College-wide and project specific Google Analytics reports to drive insights and enhancements.
j. Monitors competitor/higher education websites for trends and insights.
- Manages Social Media Strategy and Engagement:
a. Develops and executes the College-wide social media strategy, including managing and collaborating with assigned staff, overseeing the editorial calendars, the content, and the engagement with our communities.
b. Provides advice, recommendations, and support for the Marketing and Communications team working on department-specific social media efforts. May provide training on best practices, as required.
c. Collaborates with the Marketing and Communications team to create shareable content for our social channels.
d. Monitors, analyzes and creates reports on the College's central social media channels, including competitor analysis and share of voice.
e. Creates and updates social media guidelines, as needed.
- Manages Digital Marketing Communications:
a. Manages College-wide digital advertising initiatives, including setting goals, managing advertisement budgets, and evaluating and reporting on outcomes. Provides advice and guidance to Marketing and Communications team working on digital advertising campaigns, including PPC, SEM, display, online pre-roll, social, etc..
b. Documents best practices.
c. Keeps up to date with anti-spam and privacy legislation requirements as they impact email marketing.
d. Proposes and executes new digital marketing initiatives to support the College's objectives.
- Responsible for managing the activities of the Digital Team:
a. Supervises assigned staff in producing digital marketing materials and participates in the recruitment, promotion, evaluation, training and development, and performance management of staff within the scope defined by College policy and the Collective Agreement.
b. Directs, schedules, and assigns duties to staff, and ensures that department business processes are followed and file management systems used.
c. Coaches other members of the Marketing and Communications team and clients on best practices in digital marketing communications. Provides training and workshops, as required.
d. Ensures that new employees receive orientation and ongoing proessional development.
e. Establishes and maintains effective union/management relationships and works with union representatives to resolve problems effectively, and represent management in complaints and grievances.
f. Promotes a harmonious working environment that encourages innovation and creativity.
- Provides leadership in the development and management of the Digital Marketing and Communication services:
a. As part of the Marketing and Communications management team and in accordance with College strategic plans and policies, contributes to the development of department annual objectives, operational plans, and budgets. Oversees project budgets related to digital initiatives.
b. Ensures all digital materials adhere to College brand standards.
- External Liaison:
a. May represent Marketing and Communications on College committees, liaise with other post-secondary institutions, outside agencies, and organizations.
b. May act on behalf of and as back up to the Director, as required.
- Performs other related duties/projects as required by the Director.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications or Computer Science; or a related discipline.
- Minimum five (5) years recent related experience in marketing communications with an emphasis on digital projects, including client services and experience managing others.
- Experience in higher education marketing communications, an asset.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience leading large, complex, multi-stakeholder digital projects, with a strong understanding of marketing and branding principles.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, workflow, and scheduling tools.
- Demonstrated experience of best practices in digital marketing, including responsive websites, online advertising, SEO/SEM, mobile marketing, email marketing, and social media.
- Demonstrated experience with web content management systems, such as Terminal 4.
- Knowledge in online media planning and buying using platforms such as Google AdWords, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Experience using tools such as Google Analytics and platform-specific analytics to track and report on results.
- Proven ability to manage multiple social media platforms and engage appropriately with online communities, including familiarity with social media monitoring, engagement, and analytics tools, such as HootSuite.
- Knowledge in programming for the web.
- Demonstrated experience in testing across multiple browsers and platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux) to ensure conformance to requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with internal/external clients and colleagues, in a respectful, consultative, and client service-oriented manner.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including web content development, writing for SEO, and ability to clearly communicate digital marketing best practices to non-technical audiences.
- Exhibit effective presentation and public speaking skills.
- Exhibit effective analytical, problem solving, and strategy development skills, including an understanding of data-driven marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, innovate, take initiative, and exercise tact and diplomacy, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet multiple deadlines within a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, motivate, and lead employees.