Squamish Nation has a great opportunity for a Manager, Communications and Public Relations to join the Council Advisory & Support Department in North Vancouver on a full-time basis.
Reporting to the Council Co-Chairs and working closely with the Executive Operating Officer and the Council spokespersons, you'll manage the organizational communication plan activities of the Squamish First Nation, with emphasis on developing and implementing integrated communication initiatives and strategies. With an understanding of the short-term and long-term communications and public relations needs, you'll also prepare strategies to address emerging issues that could potentially impact the organization.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone with exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong research abilities and the analytical skills to understand respective audiences and engage them with content. Most importantly, you'll operate with a high level of tact, confidentiality, diplomacy and integrity.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for Squamish First Nation
- Creating and syndicating media materials
- Supporting Council with Membership Relations and Communication
- Managing media relations and publicity
- Managing online presence and general communication to membership
- Providing regular updates to management and Chiefs and Council
- Acting as in-house lead on all communications activities and promoting awareness of external communications activities with departments
- Adhering to workplace Health & Safety policies, as well as safe work practices and procedures
- Participating as member of the Council Advisory & Support Team
For this role, we're seeking someone with a Bachelor's degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a relevant discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution. You'll also have five to seven years of directly related experience developing communications and public relations strategies, implementing communications and public relations plans, creating and syndicating media materials, managing online communications, and community/membership/public relations, etc. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be accepted.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following:
- Intermediate/advanced level experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency with Hootsuite and Wordpress, or other social media platforms/content management systems
- Familiarity with media relations and or using media distribution channels
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends (as required)