We are seeking an Intermediate/Senior Graphic Designer to join our publishing team for a one year contract (maternity leave replacement). The ideal candidate will be comfortable taking a leadership role as required on the team, and will actively participate in meetings and creative briefs with Conference Board staff and senior management. As part of our professional, customer-oriented team this position is responsible for designing and producing layouts for a wide range of Conference Board material, both on the web and in print, following corporate branding standards. The scope of work includes marketing material, research publications, HTML e-mails, web pages, newsletters, course catalogues, advertisements, stationery, etc.
This one year contract position, located in Ottawa, begins December 2011 and reports to the Associate Director, Publishing.
- Strong conceptual thinker with a solid background in web design, print publications, branding, typography and print production.
- Design of web pages, HTML e-mails, and web banners.
- Design and layout of marketing material, catalogues, and publications.
- Design of exhibits, diagrams, and icons.
- Photo-editing and retouching.
- Revision and verification of editors’ mark-ups to post-layout publications.
- Production of PDF files for electronic publishing and print.
- Print management (prepping and sending files to printer; reviewing proofs; quality check of printed copies).
- Consulting with publishing colleagues and Conference Board staff on production and graphic design trends/issues and branding initiatives.
- Keeping up-to-date with current graphics software and processes.
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary graphic design diploma.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years experience working successfully as part of a creative team in a commercial design studio setting.
- Extensive experience in CS4 Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Experience in HTML and CSS following W3C standards.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Very well organized and able to handle multiple projects and production deadlines.
- Accurate, with excellent attention to detail.
- Solid presentation, listening, and communication skills.
- Experience using web Content Management Systems (CMS) an asset.
- Registered Graphic Designer designation (R.G.D.) an asset.
- Experience in Flash, Fireworks, video-editing an asset.
- Experience in mobile design an asset.