CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. Through our three major businesses – Retail and Business Banking, Wealth Management and Capital Markets – we provide a full range of financial products and services to 11 million individual, small business, commercial, corporate and institutional clients in Canada and around the world. We invest in our businesses, our clients, our people and our communities to deliver consistent and sustainable earnings to our shareholders.
CIBC delivers access to career and development opportunities, safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance – so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with our clients.
Every year, CIBC is recognized for its business success, community commitment and employee initiatives. We are proud of this success and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and an environment where all employees can excel.
The CIBC Technology team is passionate about delivering high-quality, innovative, and secure solutions that help our bank be the leader in client relationships. CIBC has a long history of technology firsts, and has been recognized for excellence in online and mobile banking functionality and innovation in payments by leading industry organizations. We’re building easy, flexible, and personalized banking solutions that allow us to meet our clients’ changing needs.
As an Intermediate Front-end Web Developer, the candidate is responsible for defining, extending, and coding the architecture of front-end client-side solutions to support sites such as CIBC.com, CIBC online banking, and alternative brand websites.
The Intermediate Front-end Web Developer must be able to collaborate on project development teams, there may be a need to perform code reviews and provide gap analysis on business requirements and objectives on given projects, and translate wireframes and specifications into robust and completed systems, while protecting, contributing and adhering to the best practices of our development team.
Internal to CIBC, Intermediate Front end Web Developers are considered a Level 5 position.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Development for CIBC and PC Financial web projects, with varying degrees of complexity.
- Define and extend the technical architecture for online product applications.
- Thorough analysis of project business requirements, provide gap analysis and closing all gaps.
- Contribute to best practices, coding standards and code reviews of peers’ work, including web accessibility standards, maintenance, security concerns, browser compatibility, performance and size for all web development.
- Documentation and presentation of all project solution design, CIBC standards, best practices is necessary.
- Assist with daily content change requests as required.
- Proactively schedule to accommodate timelines, collaborate with other team members assigned to the same project, actively communicate issues to team leads and project managers.
- Participate in post-implementation reviews and other team discussion forums by providing recommendations on improving process and documentation, to maximize and share learning, and to optimize on a continuous basis.
- Contribute to new ideas for continuous improvement on our existing processes, collaboration, technologies and best practices.
- Constant review and monitor all accountabilities and deliverables with team development lead, peers and management.
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years experience working on Internet projects and software applications
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field (Or applicable work experience)
- Strong experience and understanding of HTML5, CSS/CSS3, XML, JSON.
- Deep experience and understanding of Mobile Web Development
- Deep experience and understanding Responsive web design (RWD) frameworks
- Deep experience in developing and browser testing for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, iOS / Android / Windows Phone / Blackberry mobile and tablet browsers
- Experience with code versioning tools, branching strategies (Github, Gitflow, SVN)
- Experience with other web technologies (ex. Node.js, Require.js, Modernizr, Respond.js and other emerging technologies)
- Test driven development skills (QUnit)
- Experience and understanding of user experience, Internet design principles, W3C standards, SEO, accessibility WCAG 2.0 AAA standards, and Windows and MacOS interface standards
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working with Atlassian JIRA
- Team/collaborative mindset, have worked with large development teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to present ideas in a clear, concise manner.
What CIBC Can Offer You
- Flexible health benefits, stock purchase plan, competitive incentive pay and recognition programs
- Competitive salary and banking benefits
- Career growth, development and continuous learning opportunities
- Opportunity to be involved in CIBC events that help our communities
What You Need To Know
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role.