Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Job Shift: Standard Business Hours
Job number: 242940
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Being number one means WM invests in our Sales teams' success by providing access to state-of-the-art systems and processes, industry-leading services and the best leadership in the business. Our exceptional sales professionals help deliver satisfaction to our clients throughout North America. If you are passionate about helping others and seeking challenging and interesting employment, apply today!
Manages the maintenance and growth of current customers to achieve budgeted sales goals by developing and implementing sound retention strategies, utilizing strong negotiation efforts to preserve business, and securing contract agreements from previously non-contracted customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- "Saves, secures, and converts" by handling all customer cancellation requests, providing ongoing education of contract details to existing customers, and by obtaining customer contract commitments using sound telephone based negotiation practices.
- Resolves escalations for customer service within the defined territory.
- Generates revenue growth by utilizing a consultative selling approach in the retention of current Waste Management customers.
- Establishes and maintains a high level of customer satisfaction. This includes meeting customer retention goals. Communicates to and works with the Retention Manager to resolve unique customer issues.
- Reduces lost accounts by diffusing cancellation requests.
- Increases revenue and profitability by executing sound plans on retention calls to improve the customers' service and/or profitability while minimizing price rollbacks.
- Matches Waste Management services with customer needs by demonstrating knowledge of customers, pricing and competition; effectively communicates pricing and service strategies; proactively engages other Waste Management business opportunities, referring internally as appropriate.
- Effectively uses Waste Management sales productivity software tools (i.e. Prospect and Customer Database, Proposal Program, Pricing Tools, etc.).
- Acquires in-depth industry and company knowledge in order to prepare complex proposals and make recommendations on equipment optimization and leasing options.
- Proposes customer solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations.
- Updates and secures customer service agreements
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Required: High school diploma or GED equivalent plus 1-year non-consumer based industry sales
- Preferred: 2 years of college coursework plus 2-year non-consumer based industrial sales, commercial sales, or service industry environment that includes: successfully converting customer cancellation requests in order to maintain revenue levels, and/or complex negotiations resulting in signed customer contracts.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
General Competencies Include:
- Build Relationships
- Communicate With Impact
- Demonstrate Professionalism
- Make Sound Decisions
- Think Strategically
- Proficient with Computer and Software Applications
- Produce Results
- Know the Business
- Influence and Negotiate
- Manage Work/Time
- Use Ethical Practices
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package. Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.