The University Relations Marketing team at the University of Calgary is currently seeking a talented and technically advanced Graphic Production Artist to join their team. This regular full-time position reports to the Director, Creative Services in Marketing.
The Graphic Production Artist will help to achieve the university’s marketing and communications goals by working within the creative team to create and deliver production files for print and digital media. The ideal candidate for this position will have experience collaborating with a marketing or creative team and advanced technical expertise in creating production-ready files.
Detailed, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects and deadlines, the production artist role requires exceptional interpersonal communication skills and an ability to seek collaborative solutions to project challenges.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of a successful and growing creative team.
Key qualifications required are:
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a production artist in both print and digital environments
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in a related field of study such as visual communications, production,
or graphic design
- Outstanding technical ability and a solid portfolio of work
- Demonstrated ability to take original creative and generate production files across various formats that respect the concept, meet print or digital specifications, and meet budgets and deadlines
- Experience creating style sheets, master pages, and templates based on original creative
- Fluency in print production and digital practices and the ability to execute – from concept to final artwork –
for a variety of audiences
- Creating layouts based on direction from designers, and the ability to flow content including text, photographs, illustrations, and build infographics in an integrated way
- Skill in identifying and correcting production issues with art, such as retouching photography and illustrations
- Advanced knowledge of typography, layout and colour principles and strong attention to detail
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working with printers to ensure that technical and brand specifications are met
- Motivation and the desire to learn on the job, and a keen interest in the post-secondary education sector
- Demonstrated interest in remaining at the forefront of current production technologies. Willingness to experiment with new ideas and tools
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about our competitive salaries and benefits, and why we are a great place to work and learn, please see: www.ucalgary.ca/careersuofc.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the nation's most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic direction to become one of Canada's top five research universities by 2016, where research and innovative teaching go hand in hand, and where we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. This strategy is called Eyes High, inspired by the university's Gaelic motto, which translates as 'I will lift up my eyes'. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only contact short-listed candidates.