Description of Duties:
Produces creatively designed graphic communication materials across platforms, using a combination of graphics, text, audio, animation, video, and interactivity from concept to completion as required by Council, Regional departments, Police, area municipalities, other associated agencies and external clients.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge/skill in all aspects of design principles and technical requirements (from concept to completion of print/web/digital piece), acquired through a 2-year Community College Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (e.g., Media Studies, Fine Arts) with specialization in graphic design, or equivalent education, plus 3 years of graphic design and self-learning experience.
- Knowledge of web, multimedia, and digital communication requirements. Knowledge of ink, paper, typography, colour theory, colour correction, trapping, and its application to print, digital, mobile, and social media use. Understanding of the Pantone Matching System and colour conversions. Knowledge of Regional services, roles and functions. Knowledge and understanding of copyright and infringement policies. Ability to keep knowledge and skills current on new/emerging communication technologies.
- Knowledge of corporate policies, procedures, and standards for communications; and electronic/print application of standards per Regional Graphics, AODA, WCAG, Canadian Press, Canada Post. Knowledge of use of multiple Regional logos in corporate stationery/design.
- Knowledge of traditional and emerging digital and multimedia communication concepts and technology.
- Ability to create fillable interactive forms and multi-program templates for PC and Mac platforms. Knowledge/understanding of the properties of file formats (e.g., AI, EPS, TIF, GIF, PSD, PNG, SWF, JPG, WMF) and their application. Knowledge of flash, html, and other multimedia-related software required to complete work.
- Human relations and communication skills to establish/maintain effective relationships with staff and external clients to exchange views, promote Section services, assess needs and draft artwork/design proposals; exercise discretion and tact when dealing with sensitive/confidential information; work collaboratively on communication/marketing projects; review work with an awareness for cultural inclusivity/political sensitivity; and participate as an effective team member.
- Analytical, research, organizational, and problem solving skills to research design projects to meet client needs within graphic design context; research and recommend new technology and design processes; develop customized multi-platform creative design solutions for clients; independently problem solve and work on projects; troubleshoot files for print/processing; meet deadlines; work on concurrent projects, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Skill using Mac hardware and software (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud, Quark Express, Variable Data, Accessibility), including installation, maintenance, and minor repair, and software installation/ upgrades. Knowledge of other computer systems when designing material for cross-platform use. Technical knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint as they apply to PC and Mac.
- Ability to operate a digital colour press.
- Ability to rework files into formats for multiple digital communications platforms, suppliers, and PC template users.
- Ability to structure documents for accessible export for web-based posting using InDesign and Adobe Acrobat. Ability to produce final accessible PDFs for electronic posting ensuring compliance with AODA (WCAG 2.0 AA and PDF/UA), including (but not limited to) placement of text alternatives for non-text content; tagging photos with alternate text; creating bookmarks and active hyperlinks; transferring metadata into “actionable” format; artifacting images not relevant to the article; anchoring callouts or quotes; setting default language; ensuring reading order and structure follow meaningful sequence; consistent use of character and paragraph styles; proper table and list construction; and ensuring interactive features and navigation aids are embedded in documents.
- Ability to ensure accessible PDFs pass through Adobe Accessibility Checker and PAC 2.0 (or current version) and known issues are corrected prior to providing final PDF for posting.
- Ability to proofread, edit, and use judgment in applying corporate communications standards regarding communication material content.
- Ability to communicate visually/verbally to interpret vague client ideas/concepts and create products that meet expectations and corporate standards.
- Ability to communicate verbally/in writing with other staff and external clients regarding design development and scheduling; suggest/edit text provided by clients; develop/create new, supplementary, or alternative text; and explain design and computer functions and capabilities to staff.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jul 04, 2016 quoting competition number 2016-1448.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.