One of the top international ballet companies, The National Ballet of Canada was founded in 1951 by Celia Franca. A company of 70 dancers with its own orchestra, the National Ballet has been led by Artistic Director Karen Kain, one of the greatest ballerinas of her generation, since 2005. Renowned for its diverse repertoire, the company performs traditional full-length classics, embraces contemporary work and encourages the creation of new ballets and the development of Canadian choreographers.
Are you passionate about the arts? This is an excellent opportunity to put your strong design sense to work for both the Communications and Development departments, enhancing both print and digital communications. Use your creative talent to create an outstanding brand experience and engage our audiences through targeted, thoughtful collateral that achieves the goals set out in our campaign briefs.
The National Ballet of Canada, Canada's premier dance company and one of the world's top international dance companies, is looking for a dynamic, creative, and passionate Graphic Designer. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in design, have a creative, artistic flare, hold strong design standards and is meticulous & detail oriented.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, this role also oversees brand integrity and consistency, in addition to project management and print production:
- Execution of marketing materials including season brochure, house programmes, print/online ads, signage, and subscriber collateral (tickets, invoices, brochures, postcards, buckslips etc.) ensuring materials meet corporate branding and graphic standards
- Execution of fund development materials including proposals, reports, annual report and support for gala collateral including print (invitations, signage) and web collateral
- Maintaining server filing system, designer server, tear sheets and archival documents
- Proofing copy and brand style for Communications and Development materials/ approving press colour proofs
- Design project management and scheduling
- Monitoring of corporate branding and graphic standards to ensure compliance with Style Guide
- Regular contributions (including updates, conceptualization and art direction) to departmental weekly meetings for marketing and development initiatives
- Management of collateral approval process
- University degree, college diploma or equivalent and relevant career experience in graphic design, preferably in arts and/or not for profit environment
- 5 years professional experience working in design, layout, typography etc. for marketing and fundraising departments
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Microsoft Office and internet and blogging proficiency
- Basic HTML/CSS and email application experience an asset
- Proficiency with photo editing and colour correction
- Print production experience including knowledge of file formats, digital and offset processes
- Experience building out final mechanicals and reformatting and adjusting creative to various size dimensions and specs for large format (billboards, outdoor advertising)
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- High level of communication skills required to liaise with managers, vendors, staff
- Exceptional eye for detail and strong organizational skills
- Designing and marketing for the Arts/Performing Arts industry an asset
- Knowledge of compliance for accessibility standards