Second Harvest is the largest food rescue program in Canada. Since 1985, Second Harvest has been rescuing donated, excess food, which would have otherwise gone to waste and delivering that food to community agencies in Toronto. Every day Second Harvest delivers enough food to provide 18,000 meals to over 200 community agencies in Toronto. Recognized for efficiency and impact of services, independent research group Charity Intelligence Canada has named Second Harvest a Recommended Charity for the past three years.
Job Title: Graphic Designer
Status: Permanent Part-time (28 hrs/wk)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Graphic Designer is a key member of the Communications team. The Designer provides high-quality finished print and electronic design, aligned to organization graphic standards, supporting major campaigns, events, operations and ongoing fundraising initiatives for Second Harvest.
Working closely with the Content Development Specialist, the Graphic Designer takes an active role in providing visual ideation to advance the key performance indicators of the organization: food, funds and time. Success is measured by completion of projects on time and on budget, which meet the strategic objectives of the department.
Graphic design and conceptualization – 70% of time
- Design all collateral for Second Harvest’s large fundraising events including Lunch Money Day and Toronto Taste.
- Provide ongoing graphic design support as required for the Communications, Operations and Philanthropy departments to fulfill the mission of the organization.
- Provide ongoing electronic design elements and design direction for Second Harvest’s websites, including secondharvest.ca, lunchmoneyday.com and torontotaste.ca.
- Working with internal teams, take an active role in providing design advice and counsel to support communications objectives.
Production and project management – 20% of time
- Liaise with external creative suppliers including pro-bono agency of record to provide relevant graphics when required.
- Manage creative docket system and online visual library.
- Obtain quotes, oversee production process for all external printing/output.
- Nurture strong supplier relationships.
Maintain/update graphic standards – 10% of time
· Working with team, aid in ongoing development and maintenance of Second Harvest graphic standards and ensure brand compliance for Second Harvest materials.
The Ideal candidate:
- Graphic design diploma from a recognized institution.
- 2-4 years providing high-quality creative design within a marketing team or agency.
- In-depth knowledge of most recent version of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly with core programs, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat).
- Takes ownership of design and production processes and manages large volume of projects with ease.
- Produces clean files for print.
- Skills in file management.
- Experience working with printers, digital signage suppliers.
- Strong relationship-building abilities.
- Experience working with marketing teams and can defend design decisions while focusing on the main objective of the project.
- Creative/lateral thinker, organized, resourceful, strong attention to detail, and deals well with pressure.