About The National Ballet of Canada
The National Ballet of Canada is one of the most exciting, innovative arts institutions in Canada, and among the top ballet companies in the world. Since its establishment in 1951, The National Ballet of Canada is celebrated for its remarkable dancers and diverse repertoire of traditional full-length classic ballets and cutting-edge contemporary work by world-renowned choreographers and designers. Our Education and Community Engagement programmes are designed to cultivate an interest in the arts and promote dance to youth and broader communities.
Executing world-class, unforgettable performances and challenging our audiences is at the core of what we do, none of which would be possible without a talented and passionate team of employees. We persist to create an environment that encourages our artists and employees to realize the fullest extent of their talents in an inclusive workplace.
About the Position
The National Ballet of Canada is seeking one or more Equity Assistant Stage Managers (ASM) to work the following contractual dates during the Company’s 2024/25 Season:
- Monday, November 25, 2024 through Tuesday, December 31, 2024 (The Nutcracker) – five (5) weeks and three (3) days
- Monday, February 10, 2025, through Saturday, March 22, 2025 (Repertoire TBA) – six (6) weeks
- Monday, May 12, 2025 through Saturday, June 22, 2025 (Repertoire TBA) – six (6) weeks
The three dated periods above are considered three separate contracts, and it is not necessary to be available for all three; when you apply, please indicate which of the contracts you are available for. Fees are per the current NBCA contract.
Evenings and weekends are required. Must be available for rehearsals and performances at the Walter Carsen Centre located at 470 queens Quay West, Toronto) and the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts (FSCPA) located at 145 Queen St West, Toronto. Applicants must be members of the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.
The ASM’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensures that the rehearsal studios at the Walter Carsen Centre and Four Seasons Centre have the resources required to meet the planned rehearsals in any given week. This includes preparing audio and video files for reference, spiking scenic elements, providing props and other production elements.
- Supports the rehearsal process with video capture and distribution of recorded material (Dropbox/Vimeo/OneDrive), as needed.
- Supports with documenting all Stage Management-related elements for productions from the rehearsal period through to performances, share and distribute notes and information to all relevant departments.
- Assists Artistic and Production Staff to schedule rehearsal time and tracks rehearsal time and performance time.
- Assists with representing the Production Department’s interests and needs in Artistic Staff meetings, as required.
- Assists Production Staff in creating pack lists for all company equipment used on tours or theatre seasons.
- Assists with running performances for repertoire as contracted, as assigned and needed.
- Additional traditional stage management-related responsibilities, as needed.
- Post-secondary education in a technical/production field or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience working in both unionized (IATSE, TMA, CAEA) and office environments in the performing arts. Previous experience in stage management for dance is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency of MS Office suite & SharePoint, plus Audio and Video playback apps.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and capable of juggling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment under time constraints.
- Strong knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices in the performing arts industry.
- Ability to follow a musical score and create notes, cues and documentation as necessary, based on attending rehearsals.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work such as taping floors (spikes), setting props for rehearsals, setting up the production office, and more, as needed.
- Excellent communications skills and thrives in a fast-paced environment.