Torstar Corporation is a farseeing media company with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. You will join the senior management team in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative. You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
- Manage and lead internal UX and Design team to ensure creation of consistent, high quality experiences on all TorStar digital products
- Establish customer-first approach to user-experience research for all digital product initiatives. Build process that balances qualitative research with data- analysis and is followed for all digital product design work
- Work collaboratively as part of the senior digital product team, aligning needs of the customer and the business for all work, from conception through to the completion of development
- Demonstrate expertise and deep understanding of all aspects of digital product design: UX research; UX design; UI design and visual design,
- Lead establishment of a formal style guide for all Torstar products to ensure consistency for every brand
- Lay the groundwork for new and existing products; create sketches, conceptual diagrams, interaction flows, wireframes, mock ups and interactive prototypes
- Design compelling experiences that satisfy user, business and technical requirements
- Work in Agile environment to develop concepts, as well as production-ready specifications and assets
- Create wireframes that illustrate product layout, navigation, controls, and content prioritization
- Develop and maintain sitemap and wireframe mockups, usage scenarios, prototypes, specifications and other design documents to communicate ideas
- Create navigational models that are aligned with the defined user experience and business requirements
- Work with development teams to make sure that the information architecture reflects the customer's needs
- provide expertise and thought leadership, best practices recommendations from a human factors perspective, towards overall Star Digital Strategy
- Work effectively and independently with stakeholders, subject matter experts and users
- Manage the team’s activities of analysis and process design to create high-quality solutions that provide great experiences
- Be comfortable managing a number of projects at any give time and demonstrate the ability to work equally well with team members, internal stakeholders and external vendors.
- 5+ years’ experience specializing in web, mobile, interaction design, and user research
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing and leading other UX designers
- Expertise in running user-experience research programs including usability tests
- Strong conceptualization ability and visual communication ability
- Ability to create and sketch wireframes
- A high personal standard when it comes to user experience and interface design and usability
- Great communication skills – ability to effectively pitch design concepts and articulate design decisions
- A team player who loves to collaborate and bounce ideas off other creatives
- Experience in translating customer requirements into specifications, wireframes and use cases
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the Company of your requirements.