The Butchart Gardens offers 22 ha (55 acres) of wonderful floral display located on the Saanich peninsula near Victoria, BC. It is a National Historic Site of Canada, and is still privately owned by family descendants. The Butchart Gardens is entering its 111th year and entertains almost 1 million visitors each year. It is open every day of the year and visitors can experience something wonderful and different in every season.
We are currently seeking a dynamic individual for the role of Director of Public Relations, Sales & Marketing.
The successful candidate will lead staff to generate sales, develop sales strategies, establish and maintain marketing strategies and direct publicity programs to meet organizational objectives. They will effectively manage the public relations, sales and marketing activities of The Butchart Gardens and motivate, lead and develop staff as a cohesive unit. Additionally, the Director will ensure all approved initiatives further the established goals of The Butchart Gardens by collaboration with senior management and the Owners.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
Public & Media Relations
- Protect and enhance the established image of The Butchart Gardens by directing and ensuring quality of established publicity programs
- Develop and seek approval for new publicity programs aimed at targeted consumer groups using every available media
- Optimize relationships with travel writers and local media
- Ensure The Gardens is appropriately represented and visible in our visitors’ community while taking steps to safe guard and enhance The Gardens’ image
- Oversee on-site publicity initiatives such as the annual Historical Display, Christmas & Easter activities, Garden Days and Spring Prelude
- Work with the Administration department to process information and donation requests from the public
- Work with all departments to ensure strong on-site public relations
- Evaluate advertising and promotion programs for consistency with approved public relations efforts
- Observe social, economic and political trends that might ultimately impact The Gardens and make recommendations to respond to trends accordingly
- Assist company executives in drafting speeches, arranging interviews, and maintaining other forms of public and industry contact
- Oversee corporate sales, reservations and related on/off site operations for the following key activities and sectors: industry FAMS, Group Sales, Meetings and Incentive, Leisure & F.I.T, Cruise, Corporate Meeting, Party and Wedding
- Work with Sales team to develop strategies for tradeshow attendance and marketing activity
- Maintain contact with and establish a sales cycle for tour, transportation and accommodation operators
- Work with Visitor Services, Administration, Food Services and Gift Store departments to lead sales and development of Twelve Month Pass and Fireworks VIP programs, Dining and other initiatives.
- Oversee sales of garden and ‘behind the scenes’ tours
- Suggest new products and programs and seek approval for development
- Develop annual sales program and set goals, establish training programs, monitor performance and coach staff on ways to improve sales performance
- Analyze sales statistics to determine sales potential and requirements and monitor the preferences of key customers to develop new products and maximize revenue
- Work with General Manager and Director of Accounting to develop group sales and event contracts
Marketing & Advertising
- Manage and coordinate all marketing, advertising and promotional staff and their activities
- Conduct market research to determine market requirements for existing products and propose future products
- Develop and implement approved marketing plans and projects for new and existing products
- Develop an annual budget to support the sales and marketing plan
- Manage the established PR, Sales & Marketing budget and deliver marketing activity within agreed budget
- Leverage advertising budget through cooperative packaging, relationships with advertisers/media and through co-op programs with top performing tour and transportation operators
- Oversee copy writing to ensure cohesive style and quality of all published materials and collaborate with in-house Arts Department to develop advertising copy for approval of Owner
- Coordinate on-site marketing efforts such as signage and product promotion
- Monitor, review and report on all marketing activity and results; keep records and analyze data to develop annual marketing plan
- Work with administration to ensure appropriate use of company trademarks by partners
- Make recommendations to pricing strategy
Social Media and Digital Marketing
- Oversee maintenance and development of website and current social media marketing
- Create a comprehensive social media strategy and define programs that use social media marketing techniques to increase visibility and market segment penetration
- Monitor trends and applications in social media tools and appropriately apply that knowledge to support the marketing initiatives of The Butchart Gardens
- Strategize with and educate the management team and others across the company on incorporating relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services
- Measure the impact of social media on the overall marketing efforts
- Establish and assure adherence to company policies, budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements
- Determine and monitor staff responsibilities
- Create and maintain motivation in conjunction with established company performance management system
- Provide appropriate training and performance development
- Ensure the smooth running of the department on a day to day basis; ensure appropriate seven day per week staff coverage
Education and Experience
- Business or marketing-related degree or equivalent professional qualification
- Experience in all aspects of developing and maintaining public relations, sales and marketing strategies
- Technical marketing skills including digital marketing experience overseeing large and complex websites, online sales and social media campaigns
- Proven experience in sales, customer service and marketing
- Relevant product and industry knowledge that draws from broad experience in tourism and travel, including packaging design & co-op marketing; experience in attraction marketing, retail or food services sales considered an asset
- A charismatic, communicative, high energy, leader who is passionate about tourism and demonstrates the qualities necessary to become passionate about The Butchart Gardens
- Consideration will be given to experience specifically related to excellence in customer service.
- 10-15 years’ experience in sales/marketing/public-relations with relevant knowledge of tourism industry
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual problem-solving ability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills
- Organization and planning skills
- Strong team-leadership - skilled at motivating and inspiring teams to perform at a higher level
- Persuasiveness, adaptability, innovation, stress tolerance, collaboration
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products, database management, CRM and keyboarding skills.
- Professional appearance is expected at all times.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send your resume by October 31, 2015.
We sincerely thank all applicants, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. You must be legally permitted to work in Canada to be considered.