Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications, and
working collaboratively with the Associate Director, Strategic Communications, this
position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of
integrated, institution-wide marketing strategies to enhance the TRU brand and
support the university’s mission, goals, and strategic priorities. The Director of
Marketing plays a pivotal role in the evolution and protection of TRU’s brand and
identity, and is accountable for the university’s overall marketing strategy, digital
experience, and core creative services.
The Director of Marketing drives research-based, results-driven marketing strategies and plans that are implemented across multiple channels in digital and print media, fostering meaningful and conversion-oriented engagement with TRU’s many target audiences. The position works collaboratively with divisional leaders, faculties and marketers across campus to advance both pan-institutional and area-specific marketing priorities, facilitating synergies for efficiency and optimization, measuring and analyzing the effectiveness and outcomes of all activities, and ensuring that marketing strategies and plans across the institution are brand-aligned.
The Director of Marketing is a key liaison to the university's faculties and major
divisions such as TRU Open Learning, TRU World, and Enrolment Services,
effectively communicating the brand’s core strengths in a manner that supports the
distinct units while also enhancing the university’s overall reputation. The incumbent provides counsel and guidance on marketing principles and best practices to TRU’s leaders and marketers.
The incumbent leads a full-service department of professionals in brand and identity, marketing strategy (including advertising), creative services, and digital experience. The Director manages, mentors and coaches staff to ensure a high level of quality and consistency in all presentations of TRU’s brand across multiple channels, and a high level of employee motivation and engagement.
The ideal candidate is both a visionary and business-minded, with a track record in
the planning, implementation, communication and analysis of brand-aligned, results driven marketing strategies.
- Develop and implement institutional, data-driven marketing strategies and plans which are brand aligned and support overall university goals and priorities.
- Manage, plan and implement a broad range of campaigns, initiatives, projects and tools that enhance a positive image and reputation for the university, working collaboratively with the Associate Director, Strategic Communications
- Lead and manage the institutional marketing portfolio of: brand and identity, marketing strategy (including advertising), creative services, and digital experience.
- Foster brand alignment and consistency of marketing initiatives across faculties and departments, linking these initiatives to overarching university marketing goals as appropriate and working collaboratively and thoughtfully with leaders and marketers across campus
- Provide counsel and guidance on marketing principles and best practices to the marketing team, and to leaders and marketers across campus.
- Communicate and continuously reinforce the university’s brand and identity standards in the interest of protecting the professional reputation and distinct positioning of the institution, including overseeing an effective visual identity system with guidelines
- Use market research to inform the development of marketing strategies and plans.
- Develop and monitor metrics for evaluating the effectiveness of marketing strategies and activities.
- Plan, allocate and hold accountability for human and financial resources, and ensure effective and efficient use of those resources
- Develop, on an annual basis, and manage a comprehensive, measurable operating plan and budget
- Coach and motivate staff and provide ongoing mentorship and professional development
- Collaborate with other campus units on financial and human resource optimizations for pan institutional marketing strategies, plans, campaigns and initiatives
- Stay abreast of current trends and best practices in marketing and apply learnings to the TRU environment as appropriate
- Be a strong, contributing member of the senior MarCom team.
- Represent the marketing function on senior university working groups and committees.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!