Director, Marketing & Communications - Temporary, approx. 1 year
Closing Date: August 23, 2017
United Way has been changing people’s lives for the better since 1930! We help kids be all they can be, move families from poverty to possibility and build stronger communities. Across Metro Vancouver and from the Sea to Sky corridor to the Sunshine Coast, we help make our community better. Our mission is to strengthen our community’s capacity to address social issues.
This is a temporary opportunity for approximately one year. Anticipate end date is January 2019.
The Director of Marketing is responsible for developing and implementing a marketing plan and strategies that effectively position and market United Way on a year-round basis and supports the implementation of the organization’s strategic and annual goals.
The Director participates in the planning and leads the implementation and evaluation of strategies for the organization's marketing initiatives. The Director is also responsible for overseeing specific marketing channels, and events.
The Director is both a leader and champion of Marketing and Communications department and United Way of the Lower Mainland. The Director assists in positioning the Department as a strategic resource of the organization. The Director is a problem solver, and strives to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
The Director of Marketing will participate as an integral member of the management team and will report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
Key areas of responsibility
- Annual marketing and communications plan; departmental plans
- Leadership and management of department staff; direct supervision in a unionized environment
- Community Relations including special events and initiatives
- Oversight of media and public relations
- Oversight of market research
- Departmental administration and direct supervision of an experienced team
Performs other related duties as assigned. Please see detailed job description on uwlm.ca.
- Bachelor degree in a related field (such as Marketing, Communications, Business) or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Five years’ experience in marketing, management, communication in an organization involving a significant number of people with diverse and varied interests and backgrounds
- Two years of direct supervisory experience
- Experience must include strategic planning, marketing and communications planning and management, community and media relations, staff supervision and team leadership.
- Must be a strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills
- Must possess strong leadership skills, be able to motivate and influence others.
- Ability to think innovatively, creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment, be able to work in a changing environment
- Must be a team player