University Relations is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Director, Digital Experience.
In this role, the Director, Digital Experience reports to the Associate Vice-President, Marketing in the University Relations division. The person in this role works collaboratively with the University Relations team and multiple stakeholder groups across campus to build and enhance the profile and reputation of the University of Calgary through digital channels.
The Director, Digital Experience is the lead hire in a structure that will grow quickly in the short term to include multiple reports, most of whom will be members of the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees (AUPE). This individual will scope and lead the hiring of a number of new positions required to build a strong digital experience team and complement existing resources on campus.
While the role does not require shift work, it is expected that the incumbent will engage in evening or early-morning activities as required from time to time in order to represent the interests of the position at key leadership meetings, conferences, stakeholder consultations, and events.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
The Director, Digital Experience is responsible for the development, implementation and effectiveness of university-wide digital marketing and communications strategies and programs in support of the university's goals. The incumbent will have a direct and positive impact on the department and all forms of marketing communications, and provide focus and clarity around digital marketing expectations and needs of the university.
The person in this role will work with an IT Partner in monitoring, identifying and evaluating emerging technologies and opportunities, providing thought leadership on digital and web-based marketing and communications, and guiding/mentoring a team of digital experience professionals.
He/she will create, articulate, execute and measure a successful digital marketing strategy for the university, not only helping the university to meet the expectations of its primary stakeholders but ultimately to exceed those expectations by delivering new value through innovative use of digital marketing. This will involve building positive relationships with faculties, departments, and units across campus and working in close partnership with professionals within the Marketing unit. It will also involve engaging with experts in the field who may work at other universities, at not-for-profit organizations, or in the corporate sector.
In addition to driving digital initiatives for the university as a whole, this individual helps other campus marketers plan, develop, execute, and evaluate their own digital marketing strategies, ensuring that they are complementary to overall institutional efforts.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A post-secondary degree in business, digital strategy, marketing, marketing communications, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of seven years' experience in the digital marketing and communications field, preferably with several years at a senior level with responsibility for supervising employees.
- Proven ability to influence, lead and motivate others. Demonstrated ability to work with staff at all levels, under pressure and to tight deadlines, and to handle multiple priorities (in diverse subject areas) and competing deadlines.
- Strong understanding of and experience with leveraging marketing opportunities in the digital domain, including campaign, process automation and customer relationship management tools.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to enable assessment of opportunities; ability to integrate digital and traditional marketing communications programs to support goals.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to think differently, and the fundamental desire to question everything, would help in the growth and distinction of the university.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability in building and maintaining relationships, including a sincere commitment to working with and coaching constituent groups with varying levels of understanding of the digital space.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including the ability to translate technical concepts into simple language or visuals to assist understanding among campus colleagues and leaders.
- Website management and development experience; ability to coach and guide people with these skill sets effectively.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, yet to work collaboratively where required in a complex organization.
- Excellent project and time management skills, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a high attention to detail, and an ability to manage external vendors well.
- Proficiency in Adobe CS/CC and basic web technologies.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word and Excel, PowerPoint and other graphics and/or presentation software.
- Asset: knowledge of issues facing the post-secondary education sector and a keen interest in acquiring knowledge on the latest developments in the field.
- Assets: familiarity with the Drupal web platform or other open-source web platforms, PeopleSoft ERP, common email marketing and events management tools, and web analytics tools.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2014
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.